116

Bondita was a little surprised as she went with the coffee in the study room. To say she was nervous was an understatement. What should she expect ? What was expected of her ? Last night had still the effects of making her week in the knees. She was fidgeting before coming here. Thought she should drop the idea all together but she could not. She just had to come. She had to talk about Tapur with her Pati Babu. What she was not expecting was him sitting in the chair in one of his newly styled shirts and a pair of glasses resting elegantly on his nose.

Aniruddh looked up to find her entering the door and his first instinct was to pull off his glasses. He didn't know why he was so conscious. It was not for his bad sight like an old man. " Bondita..." He smiled.

" Pati Babu, is everything alright ?" She asked putting the cup on his table, eyes on his glasses still in his hand.

" Yes. Why won't it be ?" He sipped his coffee.

" Your glasses... Why..."

" I told you I had headaches. It is for them. My eyesight is fine." He stressed. " It is just...the stress, the paperwork. I was recommended to put them on if I have headache or want to avoid it."

" Oh..." They suited him so well. She wanted to compliment him but after last night, every innocent compliment seemed suggestive in her mind. Should she...? " They suit you Pati Babu..." She tried to say it as decently as she could.

" You think so ?" He smiled brightly putting them back on.

" Yes." She replied. " I... needed to talk about something Pati Babu..."

" Bondita... about last night...you... You need to know..."

" No..." She cut him off quickly not wanting to speak or hear about what they did...he did. She would turn to mush the very instance. She could not be distracted right now. " It is about Tapur."

Aniruddh frowned. He was expecting a confrontation for last night. So many questions she must have. So many emotions he had to word. He was looking forward to it. But she brought up Tapur. It must be something big. " What happened ?"

" Thakuma... She has locked her in her room."

" What do you mean ?" He set his coffee aside.

" Thakuma found a letter, from some boy, in her room and...and Tapur won't tell his name and to punish her for this..." Her throat choked up making Aniruddh worried for her. " She is eating once a day and... and is beaten every time she refuses to give a name. In addition Thakuma thinks she had some wrong... interaction with the..."

" That is absurd !!!" Aniruddh got up. " What is wrong with your Thakuma ?! Is this a way to treat a...a human ?" Bondita sniffed. " How long has this being going on ?"

" A few many days..." She whispered.

" Oh Durga !" Aniruddh exclaimed. That little girl ! " We have to help her."

Bondita knew he would do that but still hearing him say it made her heart light.

" Does anyone have any idea about that boy ? Was he from Krishnanagar or somewhere else ?"

" I know nothing Pati Babu. No one...knows..."

" Don't worry. We will find out. Ok ?" Aniruddh went near her and bent to her level. " Even if not, she is not going to be locked up like that. You just get don't worried." He smiled and kept a hand on her head. She looked up with teary eyes. It was wondrous for her. The moments she shared with him in her room, she had thought she lost her innocent marriage, the one he tried so hard to maintain but no... His caring smile, his reassuring eyes...he was her Pati Babu. The one she married.