62

" Bondita..."

It was a faint whisper in Bondita's ear.

" Bondita...wake up..."

She slowly opened her eyes to the beautiful fresh face of her Pati Babu.

" Good morning Bondita..."

What a sight to wake up to. She smiled sleepily.

" It is almost time for school."

The smile vanished as she got up with a jerk which made her vince as she clutched her belly.

" Hey... slowly. Are you ok...?" He asked.

" Yes...it just..."

" Cramps...?"

She just nodded. It was then she realised he was in the room and she had no blouse. It was a cold night and she slept completely cocooned in the blanket. But when she got up, the blanket slipped just a little. Her Pati Babu didn't react much. Maybe he didn't notice because of her long hair spread on the shoulder or her saree that she set pretty well every night. Maybe her pain didn't let him focus on that bare shoulder she covered up hurriedly.

" I don't think I can go to school today Pati Babu..."

" It's ok. Take some rest. You know I don't have to go to court today early. Just for a few hours after eleven and I will be back soon."

" Really...?!" She was now fully awake and excited.

" Are you cold ?" He asked as he saw her clutching her blanket closely.

" Yes...a little..." She answered quickly. " I will just get ready and be down in moment. I am really hungry."

Aniruddh was a little appreciatiative today to the odd customs of not letting a girl entre kitchen or mandir during this time after what she told him yesterday. It gave the girl some rest from the hectic routine. They must have started it for this good reason but it got twisted somewhere along the time. He too now didn't want Bondita to wake up early or stress over food sitting for hours in kitchen three times a day while being in so much pain. He just would have liked it more if she was told to not enter the mandir to take rest instead of calling her impure.
These were originally guidelines to treat a girl well but had now just become means to control them.
He realised that culture and values were not wrong...just used wrongly to put a leash on people. Women mostly.

After breakfast Bondita and Sampoorna sat in the angan. Bondita was all smiles.

" What is the matter Bondita ? You seem happy."

" I am..."

" And may I know why ?" Sampoorna was pretty sure all those smiles and dreamy looks were because of just that one man.

" It's nothing Didi."

" Doesn't look like nothing."

Bondita wanted to share it with someone. Her feelings felt bubbling inside to come out. " It's nothing...much. He...came to wake me up today." Bondita said blushing, playing with her fingers.

" Really...?!"

" Yes...and..."

" And...?"

" Nothing...we just talked yesterday... after a long time. Laughed... He...likes being with me Didi..." Bondita smiled even more trying to hide her face.

" Ofcourse he does...!! Everyone knows that idiot...! You were scared for nothing."

" Because...I don't know anything about such things. Why he acted that day like that. Or what is he controlling. How can I understand him when...I don't know anything about what he thinks on that matter. I know nothing about what goes on between a couple. He wants to not cross the line. I understand. And I want to be sure that we don't do that but Didi...I don't even know where the line exists !"