87

" PATI BABU...!!!"

Aniruddh was woken from his sleep by a scream.

" PATI BABU...!!!"

Her voice echoed in his empty corridor, from afar. His head snapped up. She was running to his room. He threw the covers from over him in a panic. " BONDITA...!!!"

" PATI BABU...!!!"

He wrenched open his doors and saw her running towards him. He didn't waste any time running towards her to meet her halfway. He was too scared to think of anything other than she was calling for him. The distance was short but it seemed to him like forever. He caught her as if catching a flying bird, his knees crashing on floor in front of her as he held both her arms in his hands. " Bondita! What is it ?!" He asked shaking her, looking over her for any sign of harm. There seemed none. But why was she crying like this ? Her face drenched in tears.

" What is going on ?!" He heard his Baba shout from somewhere but he didn't answer back.

" Bondita...?!" She fell in front of him on her knees too. That was when she brought up an object infront of his face. A newspaper ? " What is it Bondita ?" He asked with a shaky breath as he took it from her hands. This made her cry and yell and shout in the morning almost killing him ? He opened it.

' THE ACT FOR BANNING CHILD MARRIAGE FINALLY PASSED AFTER A ALONG FIGHT. '

Aniruddh was not sure if this was a dream. Or a nightmare maybe. His eyes landed on his photograph printed with the article. The subheading read.

' The fight led by Barrister Aniruddh Roy Chowdhury finally comes to an end with a positive result.'

Bondita had been screening newspapers for days as soon as they entered haveli. She knew he was looking out for a positive news for days and she wanted to help. She wanted to be the first one to give it to him. And today she got the chance. She had read the bold headlines and her heart almost jumped out. He won. He won !!! Every thing he worked for, everything he went through for... worked.
He won...!

She had turned to go up the stairs but her feet halted. He had won. Had that not been a cause of a persistent fear in her heart ? Her's and every one else. The fear of separation. Her fingers shivered holding the paper. He had promised her they would always be together. She believed him. But... together meant so much more to him than to her. For her it meant she would be his wife. For him...it meant beyond that. He had said to her that he had planned for distance but never seperation. What if...this puts distance between them ? She clutched the newspaper to her heart. What if...she had to...leave him ? This relationship clearly meant different things to them. For him it meant he would hold on to her no matter what. He would always be with her. What ever the status of their relation. But she was just a little girl who didn't want to go in such deaths. For her... it was important to be with him. See him everyday. Talk to him every night.
She loved him...
He... didn't...

He had promised her he would always be by her side but always infront of her was not promised. No distance between them was not promised.

She wanted to read it but was now too scared. She won't be able to. The very fate of her marriage was in her hands and she...she didn't want to know what it was.

He would know...

What ever it is, she would hear it from him. He would look into her eyes and tell her what he had done. Tell her to stay...or... Tell her to leave...

With that she ran to his room not caring of the fright she evoked in the Roy Chowdhury haveli early this morning.

Aniruddh could hardly breath. " Bon..." He looked at her at could control no more. " Bondita...!" He exclaimed with pure joy and threw his arms around her to which she reacted immediately. His happiness didn't seem to have any bounds. " I don't... I don't believe this !"