32

The whole Roy Chowdhury family was at the dinner table. Every one was surprised to see Aniruddh and Bondita back so early but were happy. Specially Kaka. He had received a call from Thakuma telling him she succeeded, more like showing him she had done what he failed at but it didn't matter to him. He was thankful that finally they were one.

" Bondita come, sit " Aniruddh called Bondita setting a plate for her. She was not hungry and in no mood for company. Specially his. Every time she looked at him she was reminded of her decite. She couldn't wait for this day to be over. She wanted some time to herself, to think of how to tell her Pati Babu the truth.

Aniruddh was in his study late that day, going over files of his work he missed last days. But he couldn't stop thinking about Bondita. She had been awfully quite since she came back. She had not chattered about her stay to her kaka sasurji nor she had run after Batuk after he tried to tease her with a handi of roshogulla. She didn't have much food at dinner too. Was she ok ?

Bondita was taking a hot water bath immersed in the tub. It helped her relax. She wanted to not think of anything for a few moments. But it was hard. She looked at her wrists. The scars would fade in a day or two her maa told her. But what of the scars on her mind.

How would she ever face him ? What would she say to him while telling the truth ? Was it really necessary to tell him ? All that would happen would be him getting hurt. Was it really that bad that they slept together ?

But the hollow feeling in her heart gave her the answer. Yes, it was wrong. Yes she had wanted him for a long time but not like this. His time, his love, his appreciation, his smiles...but not this. She had not even known such things happened back then and she still didn't know. It made her laugh, tears spillng and loosing themselves in the water. She had gone through it all and she still knew nothing.

It was time to get to bed. She got up from the tub, the pain in her belly coming back. She instantly put her hand over it. Did it hurt this much ? It had been a whole day. She didn't even have anyone to ask.
Sampoorna didi. Only if she was like she used to be before. She would have shared her pain with her. She would have been in place of her mother in this house but alas.

Bondita was on her bed when she heard footsteps. It was him.

Every day without fail since last couple of months Aniruddh would come to her door, open it a little, peek and check on her before going to bed. He had asked her to not stay up late. In starting she would act as if sleeping to avoid scolding from him but slowly it became a habit. She would wait for him to visit her, acting of being asleep, only then could she actually sleep. Even on nights he came late.

She hurriedly got under the sheets and heard him open the door. The only moment of solitude today. After his footsteps faded she herself faded into sleep.

Bondita stood in her bathroom early in the morning. What was that on the wall? There seemed to be some new pipes and a circular object with holes in it fixed high over her bath tub. That was new. She hadn't noticed it yesterday.

Aniruddh sipped his coffee. " Ahhh.."

"Really dada ?" Somnath teased him. " Is it really that good?"

Aniruddh had not realised the happy sigh that escaped his lips. He had not had his coffee yesterday. It felt all the more better.

" No... I mean it's ok." Aniruddh tried not to sound too cheerful. This family made enough fun of him over obsessing over his coffee.

" Really ? Just ok ?"

" Hmmm..."

" Here. Let me try." Somnath made a show of extending his hand towards his dada's cup but Aniruddh immediately swat it off.