Spring Ball Chapter

By: (@8gtberry, @Emmie_SkyHeart @-watermella- @harper-bxth- @-CANOODLE @XxOneMoreChapterxX @-livv-)Jolie POV:

Jolie was very, very late.

It was hardly an overstatement. She arrived halfway through the ball- and was certain everyone could see that.

She hadn't wanted to come at all- but Bronte had insisted. He'd even bought her a dress.

Made of pure white satin, it was a dress with a lavender tulle skirt that was embroidered with little white pearls and a e. It reached just below her ankles, which allowed the low white pearl heels he'd also chosen for her to stand out. Before she'd left, he'd done up her hair in a , sprigs of l tucked throughout.

She felt gorgeous, even if her heart was a little heavy. Edaline had even stopped by to give Jolie some of her mother's old jewelry- pearl earrings and a simple necklace with a little bottle with lavender in it.

She glanced around the room. There were people she knew, and people she didn't. None of them mattered to her anyways.

Jolie walked lightly, stopping at the refreshment table to pour herself some juice. She leaned against a wall, sipping at it.

Part of her hoped someone- anyone, really- would ask her to dance. That wish was luckily fulfilled, as a pretty redhead made their way through the crowd to Jolie.

"Hey!" They smiled. "Care to dance?"

Jolie bit her lip before smiling back, "Sure."

Soon enough the two of them were chatting and laughing while they danced. Jolie learned that the person's name was Talli, and they were agender, preferring they/them pronouns.

"I saw you looking at that guy earlier." Talli said. "Aiden, right? Total heartthrob."

Jolie laughed. "Yeah, that's true. We sort of dated for a while...but he's scared of me now."

Talli raised an eyebrow, "Scared? Of you?"

"I'm a lot scarier than I look." Jolie said teasingly.

"I heard you're a mesmer." Talli commented, "And a pyrokinetic."

"Both truths."

"Lucky you. You must be one of those special kids people have been talking about."

Jolie sighed. "Also a truth."

"I'm only a froster." Talli said, letting her hands turn cold. Jolie shivered a bit, but her smile was back again.

"He's looking at you." they whispered.

"-Who?" Jolie asked.

"Aiden. Who else?" Talli smirked a bit. "I'll let you go dance with him."

"What? No. What am I supposed to say to him?"

Talli winked. "You'll think of something." they flitted away with the grace of a fairy.

And then there was Aiden. He stood in front of her for a moment, before blurting out. "You look beautiful today."

Another memory bubbled up. Not so long ago he'd said nearly the exact same thing.

"Only today?" Jolie had said it before with all the playfulness and flirtiness a girl like her could muster. But today there was more of a question to it. More of a sweetness.

"Jolie." Aiden murmured. "May I have this dance?"

Jolie thought for a long moment. "Only if you answer a few questions."