Chapter 5: Carry

WAKASA'S POV

"Y/N!" I pass through the corridors, calling out to her for the sixth time but then again, receiving no reply but silence. "I'm done setting your bed. Go sleep there!" I peeked in the living room and caught sight of her foot on top of the armrest of the couch. I shook my head and walked up to her lying figure.

"Oi Y/N—!!" The moment I peeked over the couch, all I can see is her sleeping figure. Lying on her right side, her left leg is crossed over the other while using her right arm as her pillow and the other just hanging on the edge. I sighed out loud when I realized she wasn't ignoring me on purpose but is already out the whole time. "Tch! What a headache." I scratched the back of my head before kneeling down in front of her.

"Oi. Wake up. Go sleep on the bed." I shook her shoulder to wake her up when she suddenly flinched on my touch. Before I knew it, she already caught my wrist in an unexpected tight grip.

Her eyes snapped open and when her harsh gaze met mine, it softened.

"Oh Waka, it's just you." She let my wrist slide off her grip as she yawned loudly. I must've scared her when I tried to wake her up.

"Your bed's ready." I softly said as to avoid her getting surprised. Yet she groaned out loud and buried her face on the pillow. She started whining.

"I'm too tired to move. Let me stay here for tonight. My sleepiness might go away if I stand up. I'm having difficulties sleeping again once I've awakened, you know." She replied in a muffled and lazy way in which to my surprise, I managed to understand.

"Idiot. You shouldn't sleep here. You're gonna have backache and stiff neck by morning." I simply can't allow her to sleep here for multiple reasons... and that includes that I spent my time cleaning the room she's going to stay in and preparing the bed for her. I am not just providing her hospitality. I feel like I'm being treated like the princess' dog for this.

"I'll deal with that later. Just let me sleep." She waved her hand right in front of my face.

"If you're not standing up, I'm gonna carry you to your room." I threatened but it seems like it has no affect towards her when she only shrugged her shoulders.

"Yeah, go ahead."

"You're seriously so stubborn." I huffed and slip my arms behind her knees and her back. "You can't keep being like this, you know." I spoke before carrying her and started walking towards her prepared room. The moment I did so, she snuggled her face on my shoulder, yawning like a baby.

"Were you treated like this in America? I know your family there's rich and all but you're like a bratty princess today. Extra bratty." I bit the lollipop in my mouth, pinching the skin on her legs slightly like a kid she's being. But she only moved her leg and kept quiet.

I'm starting to think she's probably just enjoying being carried like this and decided to just act asleep but seeing a tear sliding down her cheek from the corner of her eye just told me she's too sleepy to keep her composure.

"I'll have to keep an eye on you most of the time if you're like this." Such careless girl. I sighed, pushing the door open with my foot.

I placed her down the mattress slowly to not hurt her back but as soon as I was about to pull away, arms wrapped around my neck, pulling me down to her. Our noses were almost touching but her eyes remained close as if she just did the move out of sleep.

"Y/N—"

"Sorry..." she cut me off with a serious tone. "For not telling you." I blinked at her sudden apology.

Sure, I was upset big time when I found out she left without even telling me goodbye. Me who was second to Shinichiro who became close to her. Me who put up with her as well. But now that she's back, there's no point for me in looking back. I'm sure that she was lying earlier when she told me she can't remember. I know she knows something. And that something must be something she didn't want me to know of.

But for what reason?

Whatever that is, I want to believe it's no big deal if it didn't cost us anything risky. Maybe, I should let go of that upset feeling for her sudden leave or I'll make her worry more.

"I already told you it's no big deal." I shook my head. The strands of my hair that hit her face must've tickled her when she contorted her face and slowly opened her eyes to meet mine. Slowly her arms slipped down my neck and back to her sides.

She was silent and just staring back at me with nothing but a blank expression on her face. But her gaze gave me a different message. It was as if it's telling me that I just said something wrong again to upset her. Wanting to make sure of this, I called out to her.

"Y/N?"

But what she said next was something I didn't expect especially when it was directed to me specifically.

"You can let go now, you know." I blinked multiple times before realizing I still have my other arm behind her that if anyone were to barge in this room would definitely get the wrong idea with our position.

"Yeah, sorry." I quickly pulled back and pulled the sheets on her.

But not before catching a glimpse of something on her left wrist right beneath her sleeve to which I decided not to bother questioning.

"Don't forget to leave the lights on." I froze at her words. Leave the lights on? Wasn't she supposed to say that once I'm about to leave? Does she want me to leave now? Did I really do something wrong? Or is she just tired that she wants to take a rest now?

Nonetheless, I shook my thoughts away and stood up with a teasing smirk plastered on my face.

"Scaredy cat."

I expected at least a whine or a pout from her but there was none. Instead, she turned her back at me as she faced the other side. She stayed silent until I reached the door.

Before closing it behind me, I heard her clearly muttering something to herself while chuckling.

"Ah fuck..." Leaving the door slightly ajar, I made sure to keep my hearing sense sharp, hoping to know what's suddenly wrong that she became too quiet to my liking. "That kinda hurt." What hurt? As soon as that question popped in my mind, I heard a sniff coming from the room.

"Shinichiro, you liar." I stiffened when once again his name came out of her lips. I can't help but tighten my grip on the doorknob behind me. "You told me I'd be fine but why..." I don't really understand what she's thinking at the moment. I don't even know what's hurting her tonight. But one thing's for sure.

Shinichiro... the one who would calm her down most of the time and keep her track of herself is no longer here.

"Why does it hurt?" She questioned once again, followed by her silent sobs. Hearing her cry for the second time today made me want to turn back and comfort her. But what do I know? I'm not Shin. I don't know her that well. I don't know how to calm her the way he used to. She probably don't expect much of me. If I'm right, she probably don't see me that way.

Shin... just how many times have you witnessed this side of hers?

I clench my fists as I stare at the floor with warming eyes.

"You're that hurt on Shin's death, huh?" Even when he's gone... I've known this for long. Even back then before I met her. But I still hoped that maybe I can touch that heart of hers too the way he did.

I guess even with him gone, I'm still no match for him when it comes to the girl I like after all.

"You must've loved him so much."