Chapter 63: Past

3RD PERSON'S POV

Even when he saw it coming already, Wakasa still felt shocked at what he heard. It's not that he expected his mother to have only loved his father in her whole life. But to think that of all people, the ex-lover of his mother had to be the father of someone so close to him... it was still shocking and confusing.

There was a long silence between them as only the sound of a few vehicles passing by the road are being heard. The man then spoke up once more.

"When I met Y/N's mother, I was the luckiest man." He started and Wakasa pursed his lips at his statement. "But as lucky I was is as unlucky she was. She met a man who's a criminal and put her in great danger." The old man's smile turned wry as he eyed the outside from the window. He could remember the first time he met the woman of his life. The one who managed to turn his world upside down.

The one who accepted him no matter who he is.

"She accepted me nonetheless. She didn't once complain..." he paused once again. "Until we had our first born child—Y/N. A sweet girl who was born into a world full of crime and sins." He said as a memory of Y/N's first breath flashed in his mind. It was then that another memory crossed his mind. A memory where the girl's life was endangered.

"One day, she was kidnapped by one of my enemies and they used her against me. She was safe afterwards. We managed to get her back. But my wife had enough of it." He continued as Wakasa remained silent, listening attentively to his words. Y/N was just an innocent little girl back then... but was quick to be exposed to the world he's used to live in. And that didn't sit right with the mother, of course. She couldn't take risk especially if it's for their only child. "She wanted me to quit my job so we could be safe and far from danger. I couldn't make her understand that I can't let go of my position." His eyes casted down in sadness as he muttered the words he never wanted to admit before because of his pride.

"Because if I did, it'll only put us in more danger since I'll have no power." As much as he wanted to quit the kind of work he's in, he just couldn't. He had the choice but he couldn't take the risk. He knew he and his family will be in grave danger if he quit. He has too many enemies before that he had to take care of. And he failed to face them because he was a coward.

He was a coward.

He only wanted to run away from his problems always and didn't realize it only affected them more in a negative way.

Everything continued that way as Y/N continued to grow until...

"A few more fights and issues, we decided to divorce. I thought they'll be safe if they're far from me. So I went back to the US to live my life." Of course, he continued to support them in any way he can. Y/N would sometimes visit him or he would visit them in a safe method just so he could keep his bond with her intact. Although a part of him had hoped that they'll be a one family once again.

He was already contented with that kind of life.

He was contented just seeing them and knowing they're doing fine even without him.

He thought everything was going well.

But that is until Y/N stepped into high school when he received news regarding things in Japan.

"But I was wrong." He continued. "Years after I left them, a report came in, telling me that my enemies have landed in this country in search for my family." Wakasa couldn't figure out his point of telling him all of these yet he kept his mouth shut and ears perked in every word he said. Somehow, a part of him tells him that he should know about it.