Chapter 37: Princess and The Royal Guard

WAKASA'S POV

So that's why she's been living forcefully free.

My throat went dry in a blink of an eye when I realised what she's trying to say. Every single word felt wrong and I want to scold her so bad for thinking that way but I just can't bring myself to do it. I have no right to tell her what to do. She's been through a lot and I understand why she would just want to end things by herself if things escalated to worse... but I don't want her to take her life away. I want her to live her life the way she did before. But I know it'll be a lot harder for her considering the hell she's been through.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this when it's supposed to be my secret." She crossed her arms across her chest with a pout, glancing at me in the corner of her eye. "But friends share secrets sometimes, right? And I trust you." I bite my lip to suppress my emotions. I don't know if I should be glad that she's telling me this. It's hurting me to witness her give up on herself. So many emotions that's overwhelming me at this moment and there are so many words that I want to say to her but I just can't... because I wouldn't want her to go through that hell again as well.

She raised a finger and placed it against her lips, indicating me to keep my mouth shut about it.

"Don't tell the others, okay? I don't want them to worry. The result isn't decided yet anyway." And I wouldn't worry?? Does she think I'm not worried enough for her? If ever, I'd be the one who'll worry for her the most—but she's too blind to even see that. Am I not showing it enough? Just how do I show her that I care for her too? "I just want to make the best memories I can with everyone before that happens, you know what I mean?" She giggled and I can only stare at her.

I can feel the strong urge within me to persuade her out of that decision but I know she's suffered enough. And so...

I mumbled something under my breath that made her head turn towards me. She had a confused look on her face as she tilted her head to the side.

"Hm? Did you say something?" I took a deep breath to calm myself so I wouldn't take back what I said.

"I said, don't get caught." It still came out as a whisper but it was enough to reach her ears. I want her to keep on living. "I trust you too. We'll make the best memories together." I said and her eyes widened in shock. I know it's impossible for me to convince her which is why I'll make a move. I want to be able to give her that light of life once again. I want to give her everything until she opens up her eyes again to the world and make her say 'I want to live.' "So promise me you won't get caught." Even if I have to fight people, I'll do it. I'll do it if I can show her how important it is for her to treasure her own life no matter how fucked up the world we're living in.

I want to make a new world for her where she'll truly be free.

I didn't realise I was already clenching my fists as my nails are already digging deep into my skin until her soft and warm hand landed on top of mine. I look up at her to see her frowning.

"Who are you kidding? Of course, I won't get caught, silly. I already told you that I'll live here with you 'til you grow tired of my face." She even pointed at her face while sticking her tongue out childishly at me.

Seeing as she's back to being playful, I pat her head softly.

"I won't."

"Huh?"

"I will never get tired of your face, Princess." I repeated while tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. Her eyes had almost popped out of her lids after what I said. Her jaw dropped as her face slowly started to gradually turn red, making me bite my lip to suppress my smile.