Chapter 54: Weak Side of Me

YOUR POV

Thoughts are swirling in my mind, trying to process things out in my head. I can't really cope up with the situation. This isn't right. This shouldn't be right at all! Just what in the world happen?? Was I being targeted?? By a gun really?? In this forest??

I whipped my head to every direction, looking for the one who aimed for me. Right behind and above me where I took the fall a few days back, a tree hides a silhouette of a person. But it wasn't the only thing that caused my hair to stand to the ends... It's because now that my senses are heightened, I can feel multiple presence surrounding me. I can't see all of them but I can feel their eyes digging holes into every part of my body and surely, my head is the main target. I can feel every gaze that sent chills to my spine, aware how defenceless I am at this moment.

Sensing a very wrong situation coming next, I quickly duck just in time to avoid another shot coming from one of them. That's when everything started to sink in.

I almost forgot that I'm still stuck in this lifeline where I have to run.

Right...

I'm still someone who's wanted by dangerous people to be dead on the spot.

The days I lived here together with Wakasa are all for just a temporary happiness and relief. And I forgot the main reason for that.

"How did they know I'm here??" I hiss while struggling to hide behind a huge tree. I slide down the trunk to the ground with a groan at the pain I'm feeling in my ankle when I suddenly forced it to take a step. I shuffle through my mind, trying to think how it all went to this. Both Waka and I were being careful when going to the town. And the people there are all the same people who live near the mountain. I haven't even felt danger near us...

Or could I have gone careless at some point?

The thought of my old classmate flashed in my mind—Yume.

"Could it be..." My eyes widen as I realize the possibility. I feel bad for pointing fingers but... It's not that we've been friends for a very long time. And she even mentioned it that she's in need of money recently. If she were to report me, it would be understandable in her end.

I bite my lip in regret.

I really let my guard down just because I spent a week freely.

I don't know what to do now. I'm already panicking, thinking of ways on how to escape this situation in my current condition. I can't fight them. Not when I'm still injured with them armed with guns. I can't win. At this point without someone's help, I'll probably end up captured or dead.

I felt a burning sensation on my eyes as tears threaten to show. Why do they have to come when I couldn't do anything?

Why now when Wakasa isn't around to help me?

Wakasa...

"Ah!" I squealed in surprise when a part of the trunk of the tree behind me busted due to the gunshot that echoed through the whole forest. I immediately squeezed my right arm, hoping it didn't receive any damage due to the impact.

I feel so helpless.

I just want to go back and live another normal day with Wakasa.

Suddenly, there was silence as rushed footsteps were heard from a different direction. I peeked from the side of the tree to where the silhouette of a man is earlier and this time, I saw him perfectly clear. He's also hiding behind a tree but not from me... but from the newcomers who were probably alarmed by the sound of gunshot earlier.

At that moment, I knew instantly.

That it's not only them who's here for me.

There are other groups too.

I shivered uncontrollably when the rushed footsteps had finally descended. I can no longer hear their voices as once again I'm left alone in this place with the same people who targeted me earlier. I braced myself for what's to come as a deafening silence filled the place.

"Is this the heiress of L/N that the Valencia is bragging about??" I flinched when I heard an unfamiliar voice from afar. He was technically shouting, considering our distance. There was a hint of provoking in his tone. "To think that the one who killed their leader is just some scaredy-cat who can't even face us is kinda embarrassing, don't you think?" I gritted my teeth at his words as I heard giggling from certain directions, indicating where the others are.

What the hell am I doing?

Why am I hiding and being emotional over something that I used to handle easily before all by myself? I feel ashamed of what I'm doing now. I feel like the Y/N in me who's too dependent on someone has taken over me again. I feel hopeless once more just like before where I'd often call out to someone else's name, hoping for them to save me when I'm in danger. A part of me that I never wanted to come back after all that incidents.

The weak side of me.

Somehow, a part of me felt like I became fragile once again... I became weak and scared. Dad was right. I understand now why he chose to cut my ties with my friends before. He knew most about the world I'm going to live in. He knows having someone important to me will only hold me back. And living recently with Wakasa just proved to me how much changes my life went through with him beside me.

I grew accustomed to leaning on him and now I'm depending on him, hoping he'll show up in front of me and help me get out of this situation when he's not even responsible for everything that's happening to me. He shouldn't even be helping me.

After all, I was the one who brought this problem here...

Just because I want to get the chance back that I lost years ago when I couldn't tell him everything.

I'm still bound to leave someday.

And maybe that someday is today.

Suddenly, Benkei's words echoed in my mind.

"Just a little more, Y/N. Just a little more and you'll understand what I'm trying to tell you."

My eyes darted to my clenched fist. I opened it to see the small pendant of the bracelet in my hand. I can't help but smile at how cute it looked. Well, at least I got to leave him a message... as promised.

Ending up dead is my most possibility at this moment but still, the decision is on me. I may not be in my best condition but I still have little strength in me for me to keep on going.

Besides, my gift isn't all done yet. I still need to finish it before he could see it. So I won't have any regrets later on.

This might be the time for me.

So I'll use my determination and remaining strength to get out of here and away from them.

I'll run as far as I can and as much as I can no matter my injury. I won't waste any little opportunity laid on my way because this would most likely be...

My last run.

And again,

I'll be alone in this journey.

___________
Author's Note:
Dunno what to sayyy~