Chapter 56: Miracle

YOUR POV

Tired.

Again, I'm tired of running.

I'm still in pain. A pain that felt unbearable just a few moments ago.

I feel so desperate. Desperate enough to ignore the pain I'm feeling and force my way towards the cabin. I've been finding support on every tree I can find support in. But I have no time to dawdle, I need to endure the pain or I won't make it. I need to stop Argus' plan no matter what. I shouldn't let everything in here be destroyed.

If Wakasa saw such damage... I don't know how he'll feel.

Those eyes... that kind of look in his eyes that day... I don't want him to feel that way again.

My legs are shaking, almost giving up on my own weight as I approach the place. It felt as if I'm walking on needles digging onto my skin kind of hell.  Somehow, unlike earlier closer to Argus' location, I can only hear faint gunshots in a distance. All of them probably having one the same goal. To capture me. And along the way, I have encountered unbreathing bodies lying on the ground. All of them were armed as they lie on the ground along with their weapons. All of them lifeless.

So this is where the shooting sounds came from when I was hiding.

It's probably Valencia's men who are under Argus' command since I recognize a few men who I faced earlier when everything started to go down. I can feel my stomach churn at the sight. All of these are hellish. I don't know how I managed to turn a cold heart in similar situations I've been before. How did I become so heartless to not be bothered by such sight?

Not far away, I caught sight of the cabin ahead and I kept on praying in my mind to reach the place fast.

Please... just let me reach the cabin before anything happens.

A lot of thoughts are swirling in my mind and I did my best to focus on whatever it is that I have to do. Thankfully, I reached the opening of the forest where the cabin is located without having to face any enemies. Though I can feel eyes watching me, I can tell that they're all far from where I am. They're all probably instructed by Argus to stay back. I clenched my fists and didn't waste any time as I made my way towards the cabin.

As soon as I opened the door, the sight in front of me made my heart sink.

It was as if a war occurred inside the place.

The walls have bullet holes as well as the furnitures. It's as if they made sure they damaged everything inside. A lot of household things are broken and scattered everywhere. I felt weak by just watching the scene in front of me. As I stood there, Argus' words echoed at the back of my mind.

"Your precious memories are there, right? Don't you think it's only fair, I take away something as precious from you, as well?"

I wanted to go after him right this moment and fight him. Every nerve in my body is telling me to go look for him and show him he should stop playing with me. But I know I can't let my emotions take over now. So taking a deep breath to calm myself, I roam my eyes around the place, looking where they could have possibly placed the bomb. And yet no matter how I keep on looking, I can't seem to find anything as suspicious as a bomb. Did he trick me? I'm not surrounded in this place now, am I?

I completely forgot that I'm still injured when I pushed myself off the door frame to which I found support earlier. Immediately, I felt the pain on my leg, making me stumble forward with a pained grunt.