Chapter 22: Worry

3RD PERSON'S POV

They had just entered the kitchen as the H/C haired girl reached for a glass of cold water to drink. When she noticed Wakasa's eyes were focused on her alone, she cleared her throat, trying to push the awkwardness away with another one of her jokes.

"Do you mean it?" She wiggled her brows while lifting the corners of her lips slightly in a teasing manner. The man only raised his brow at her in confusion while leaning on the wall.

"What?"

"You're worried of me." She giggled, teasing the man. He groaned in response, getting annoyed that she's reading him instead of explaining the situation she's in like what he did to Takeomi.

"Ah here we go again."

"C'mon Wakasa. Don't be shy~ I promise not to laugh." She used her non-injured arm and poked his side using her elbow, still trying to lighten up the atmosphere around them. Wakasa only shot her his usual glare to her, trying to be careful not to trigger any sensitivity in her.

Seeing his response, she pouted and sigh before pulling a chair near her.

"Fine fine, let's sit first."

And with that, the two started to converse with each other with Y/N explaining and telling him everything he told Takeomi.

But even after her explanation, Wakasa kept his confused gaze at her, can't stop thinking of what could've happened if she didn't decide to come back in Japan to be with them—her friends.

"Why? Why did you run away? Wouldn't that have been better if you married a successful man as him?" He asked, feeling like it's a waste to have her let the opportunity just pass by when she could've had a better life than the way she's living now with him. However, Y/N replied to him with a genuine yet sad smile.

"There are just some things that one can never give away." As she said those words, her mind was instantly filled with the thoughts of the guy sitting in front of her. She can't help but smile wryly, thinking of that one particular reason why she chose to come back. "I can't marry a man I don't love." They met each other's gaze and the man could've sworn he saw how she looked at him with loving warmth in a split second which was immediately replaced with her playful one.

"Lame excuse, right?" She turned around to hide her face from him as she started.

"I tried to convince myself that it'll be fine and that probably I'll learn to love him, too... but I was wrong." She wasn't lying when she said she tried to love him—the man she's supposed to be married to right now. But with how he is, it only caused her to hate him. He was the person she could never love. And even after what he's done, she can no longer imagine herself loving him. Not after she lost something so precious because of him. "The moment I was wearing the wedding dress, everything that time just didn't feel right."

She can still clearly remember the memory. It was so fresh in her mind. The scent of the roses in every corner even right before she could enter the place. The wedding song that was being played. She can never forget the feeling of feeling the pressure of showing up at that moment with all the people inside the place, waiting for her arrival.

A supposedly dramatic and sweet moment took a sharp turn when not even midway, she chose to retreat and leave all of them without showing them as much as her shadow.

"I see." Was what Wakasa only replied. As much as he wants to scold her for that decision, he managed to stop himself, trusting that there must be another reason for her to do that thing that can cause a lot of damage not only to her fiancé but also to herself.