Chapter 58: Unwanted Promise

3RD PERSON'S POV

"Hi." The hesitant voice of a female was heard. "Well, this is awkward." She chuckled at her situation. She's not used to speaking alone like this and to think that she's not doing it for fun is making her nervous. "I just found this recorder last night and you happened to leave early, so... I guess this is an opportunity for me to leave a message without having to face you directly." She said then turned to the window to look outside and admiring the beauty of nature surrounding her.

"How do I even start?"

"This won't take long since I suck at telling stories—Uhhm... I met you through Shin—my very first best friend and something happened, then you also became my best friend. At least that's what I think." She started, reminiscing their past with a soft smile on her face. "You were pretty cold and distant at first and wouldn't even bother looking at me even when I try to catch your attention... but when we grew closer, you never fail to show your concern in your own way." She always believed that Wakasa has one of the softest heart she knew. Though he can be a snob but still, he became a good friend.

She recalled how the people would judge him before especially when they witness how he keeps on ignoring the girl's attempts to be noticed. Yet little did they know, her and Waka's friendship have always been that way. It's just that he's not used to being so open with someone. But Y/N was able to make him do so at some point which gave her the chance to witness who he really is.

"So when some people ask me why I'm still sticking around with you even though you're always annoyed at me, the answer's actually simple." She paused for a second, missing the old days when it used to be all fun and games for the two of them. "Because you're a real friend of mine."

"But as time goes by, I started to doubt my bond with you." She continued after a short moment of silence. This time, she recalled a different memory. A memory when she started to grow feelings towards the guy... "I didn't think I still see you just as a friend. The more I got to spend time with you, the more I got to know you... the more I witnessed my feelings change towards you. And before I knew it, I can no longer see you as someone who's supposed to be just—a friend that I used to admire." She spoke in a silenced voice. Though her smile remained, her eyes now showed a hint of sadness.

"You became someone I loved more than that."

Somehow, all her nervousness earlier disappeared. Realizing this is a lot better to confess her feelings than telling it to him directly. She wouldn't even be able to tell him these things in person.

"But it's true that it's hard to be true to one's feelings. So I chose to hide it from you until we stepped into our second year college." Finally... finally, she's able to tell her side of the story. Although she's not talking to him directly, she's assured that this will be able to reach him. "I lost my mother and got an offer from my dad. So in my last day, I decided to clear things up with you even when there's no more possibility for me to prove myself to you." A fragment of her memory that day flashed in her mind, causing her smile to fall down and turn into a frown.

"But I guess, fate had different plans."

"Because on that day, you walked away without hearing a word from me. And on that same day... I walked away from you with no more words to say." Up to this day, she has no idea what was up with Wakasa at that time. Why he snapped at her like that when they even talked to each other before that. But she never once questioned it. She kept thinking that she probably just went in at the worst possible timing.

All this time, she's been unaware of the truth on the man's side of the story.

"In my whole life, that was the thing I regretted the most.. Giving up and not running after you. I guess I grew tired of chasing you for years..? I don't know. But I know for sure that I've lost hope that time.. and I regret letting you walk away from me." Her voice faded at the end. It was still a pity. She had that chance before but still failed. Ever since she left, she can't stop thinking about it and what she should've done at that moment. But, of course it was too late to think about it when it's been long done.