Chapter 20: Distant

WAKASA'S POV

I had just gone out of my room when the door to her room suddenly opened, revealing her figure who's all ready to go out in her covered casual look.

"You're going this early?" It isn't even near lunch time yet. After eating earlier, she immediately went to getting ready. I don't know if she's just eager to roam today or she's just itching to get out of the house and away from me after what happened. After apologising earlier, I don't even know if she's sincerely fine with just that. Although she seemed to be more at ease now compared to yesterday.

"Yep!"

"You're fully covered even though it's still hot outside." I commented, eyeing her outfit.

"Oh don't mind me. I just grew used to wearing these." She only shrugged. Now speaking of being covered, a thought crossed my mind all of a sudden.

Ah right. I almost forgot that there might be more people now who are after her. If so, would that be too dangerous for her to be roaming alone while searching for a place? We don't even know if the owner of the place where she's going to visit will not report her presence.

Feeling disturbed by such thought, I decided to offer.

"Do you want me to go with you?" She turned to look at me with a surprised expression, clearly taken aback by my sudden words. However, she quickly covered it up by smiling widely and waving her hands in front.

"Oh no! I can manage. Besides, someone might show up following me. I can't let them see you with me or you'll be in trouble too." I stiffened at what she said. That was exactly what I was trying to point out last night when I was mad at her. She seemed to have taken my words seriously. I don't know if she's sulking or just trying to mock my words from last night. Either way, it caused something to stir in me, making me uncomfortable at her behaviour as if this is the first time she's ever done this. And I don't like it, not even a bit. "Anyways, I got to go. Enjoy your day!!" Without even waiting for my response, she grabbed her bag and jogged towards the entrance.

I wanted to stop her and insist on going with her today since I have a spare time. But before I could even speak up, she was already closing the door behind her, leaving me without a glance back.

I was left dumbfounded and I can feel my heart clench in discomfort.

Why do I feel like she's trying to avoid me?

Was it because of what happened yesterday?

"Take care." I muttered under my breath subconsciously. Normally she would bother me to come with her when it comes to this type of situation. Yet today feels different for some reason and I don't blame her if she's trying to distance herself from me after what I said last night.

I must've hurt her.

No longer finding this fine, I dialled Takeomi's contract in my phone, calling him. It didn't even take more than two rings for him to answer.

"Hey Takeomi."

"Yeah?" I can hear him yawning in the other line, obviously still sleepy. He must've overslept since he stayed up late last night with Y/N. I shook my head, ignoring it and straightly questioned him.

"Was Y/N mad at me last night?" There was a short pause on the other end as if he's trying to recollect his memories. I can already imagine him scratching the back of his head with a frown on his face for getting asked this question.

"Not really? She was even joking about you two having a lovers' quarrel something like that." I zipped my lips shut. That's actually a really normal thing for her to do. But that doesn't mean it lessened the harshness of my words to her. Come to think of it, why was I even that mad at her? She could've had planned on telling me. And it's not that I'm that worried of myself for me to not accept her if she really was a runaway bride. So why was I so mad? Was it really just because I felt used? Or was it because I wasn't the first one to know? Somehow thinking about it really does piss me off as I remember her and Takeomi's reactions from yesterday. "Why? Is something the matter?" I blinked quickly to snap out of my thoughts when I heard Takeomi's voice.

I sighed out.

"It's just that I... feel like she's being distant." I turned my head to look at the closed door where she just got out. Not a thing was explained to me and yet, I'm already starting to regret what I did and said to her.

If I were in her situation, would I have done the same?

But for what reason?

"How do you say so?" I hear Takeomi ask and I release a deep sigh once again, leaning my head on the chair's headrest.

"She's moving out of the house tomorrow." Still the thought makes me uneasy. I've only just lived with her. It hasn't been that long yet and I somehow want her to stay for a long as she can. I know I got carried away by my overwhelmed emotions last night and threatened to report her but...

I don't want her to leave yet.

"Huh?!"

"And I kinda offered to accompany her today but she rejected it. Wouldn't she normally act all cute about it if I do that kind of thing?" Though that behaviour is annoying a lot but I actually prefer it that way... because that's the Y/N I know. The one who is too daring to be dealt with just patience.

"Well ye—wait... Oho~ You think she's cute?" I shut my lips in an instant, realizing what I just said. I can already see Takeomi smirking and I clicked my tongue in annoyance. Why did I have to dig my own grave like that?

"That's not the point." I quickly pushed the thought away, hoping he'd give that up.

"Pfft yeah yeah. But you're right, she would definitely react that way if she was teasing." He paused for a moment before continuing as if he's realized something. "Maybe your words last night gave her an impact for her to act that way dude. I don't know." I knew it. I really did hurt her... Even though she was smiling earlier, I can clearly tell the bitterness hidden in it. I can see how her face would turn sour while talking to me as if she's trying her best to act her usual self around me.

Y/N...

I'm sorry.

"How should I make up to her then?" I might've apologized to her earlier this morning but as long as she doesn't feel comfortable again then that apology is useless. I want her to be fine with me.

I want her usual self back.

Even when she pretends she's head over heels for me just to annoy me... I want her back.

"I don't know either." My shoulders backed down in disappointment seeing as Takeomi won't be able to help me with this. "You're the one who had girls all over you before. You should know by now how to deal with them." Should I? I might've dated a few girls back then but I don't really remember having to actually care in circumstances as this.

"She isn't like them." That's right. She's never like the girls I met. She's different...

"Right because she genuinely cares for you unlike them."

It's because she's the only girl who managed to make me fall for her successfully.

___________
Author's Note:
Ay ay ay? 👀