Chapter 44: I Promised

3RD PERSON'S POV

Three days have passed with the two living quietly in a mountain where no people usually visit. It's a place far enough from the city for them to hide from the ones after the female. It was peaceful but Wakasa can clearly see how down the girl felt ever since the incident about Calix's death.

Now, in front of a river, the two sat on a rock as the man helped her in trying her now growing hair. With her sitting right between his legs, the both of them are silent with only the sounds of birds chirping and the normal current of the water creating noises. The girl seemed to be staring blankly again into nothing while her thoughts filled her mind, distracting her in her daily life.

"You're worrying me, you know." Wakasa spoke up while combing her hair with his fingers.

"Huh?" She turned her head slightly to the side to give him a side glance and the man behind her sighed.

"You've not been eating properly for the past days. You barely take care of yourself." He answered, recalling the past three days where he would often catch Y/N just staring into space and getting lost in her thoughts, clearly distracted and uneasy.

He took her to this place so she could live comfortably without having to worry about being found. But because of what happened, the girl just seemed to have a hard time. She hasn't even smiled nor laugh at anything ever since they came into this place. She was like a dead person and it was hard for him to see her like this.

"I'm sorry." She lowered her head down, feeling guilty. For the past days, she noticed how Wakasa tried a lot of things to distract her from whatever it is that's disturbing her. He knows she's too weak to face her problems at the moment so all he can do is help build herself and hopes back up. But seeing that his efforts were somehow wasted made her feel guilty because she only keeps on getting eaten by her own miserable life.

"You're torturing yourself too much." He carefully tied her hair to finish the look while trying to find the right words to say to her. "Y/N, none of it is your fault. I already told you that, right?"

Y/N raised her eyes and spot two birds standing on the tip of a rock in the middle of the river and once again, the memory flashed in her mind.

"I really didn't mean to push him, Waka... Dad is already having a hard time. What more if they find out I killed him? It'll cause a huge war. And Astrid—she's my friend... and Calix's younger sister." Her voice was low as she spoke almost in a whisper as if she's scared to tell him. Feeling a lot of pressure on her, she looked down again and fiddled with her thumbs in anxiousness, feeling her hopes crash. "Should I just go back and deal with this there?"

There was a long silence as Wakasa's movements have stopped. She didn't even dare to question him, thinking her actions must've annoyed him at this point because of how hard headed she is.

But as soon as a cold breeze passed by them, she felt something snake around her waist and around her shoulders. As she let herself get pulled backwards, she soon felt her back hit the chest of someone, followed by Wakasa leaning forward and resting his chin on her shoulder. Her breath hitched the moment she realised their position as his scent immediately intoxicated her nostrils. With every breath that Wakasa releases and hits her exposed skin, the hotter her cheeks feel and the faster her heart beats. She didn't even know how to react and instead remained stiff, feeling his warmth against her and his steady breathing.

"Don't." His voice was so deep that it sent shivers to the girl, hearing him say that right beside her ear. It was a simple word of disagreement yet he didn't sound demanding. Instead, it seemed more like a plea in Y/N's ears. "Stop hurting yourself." He tightened his hold on her, pulling her even closer, obviously scared to let her go again. "You can't go back there like this. We don't know what might happen." He added when he remembered Y/N's hopeless plan about getting caught. She couldn't even pay attention anymore to how close the two of them are acting currently because of his words that seem to successfully reach her loud beating heart and her blank mind.