Chapter 71: Back To You

3RD PERSON'S POV

"It's not even originally thought by me but I figured what you were trying to do with it." Y/N couldn't even speak and just kept her eyes locked on one thing.

The thing that Wakasa handed to her. It was the small shirt that she made during their time at the cabin. A gift that she intended to give him as she was so sure that they will be parting ways one day. Once again, she can feel the tears form in her eyes.

"I found it the night I came back to the cabin." He continued. "There were a lot of people surrounding the area. And firefighters were everywhere trying to stop the fire in the mountain." Wakasa then cupped her hands with his, caging the little clothing between their hands.

"This... was the only thing left that was burned." Y/N could see the pain in his eyes as he stared at the clothing. Hearing that it was burnt, she couldn't help but be sad, thinking her hard work just went to waste. Then that only means that he tried to fix the very thing that she left for him.

"I lied when I said I didn't see you working on it." Wakasa added. "But it hurt me when I thought you would never be able to finish it. Because everyone thought you were dead." Even with a stoic expression, a tear dripping down his cheek did not escape Y/N's sight. Unconsciously, she raised her hand and wiped it softly with her finger, feeling her heart break at the sight of how broken the man she loves feel. "We were all there, you know. We were all waiting for you to appear in front of us."

He lowered his head, praying to not chicken out now of all times. His heart is beating wildly in his chest as he tries to confess to the woman. Yet, strangely the atmosphere between them feels calm.

"I'm sorry..." She finally choked out and without a second thought, pulled him to her, embracing him as he let his tears out on her shoulder.

"There were days... that I see you in my home." He admitted and Y/N tried to swallow the lump in her throat. To think that Wakasa was also suffering this whole time, it made her even sadder. She expected him to be living peacefully without her but then... "Sometimes on the couch just watching TV. Sometimes in the kitchen washing the dishes. Sometimes in your room sleeping." All her life, she wanted Wakasa to care for her but to think it came to this extent... it somehow feels disheartening.

"All those nights, I couldn't sleep, knowing you're no longer with me." He said, remembering how desperate and depressed he became after her disappearance. And it was the same for her. It was hard for the both of them to be separated that way. But if they were to still part ways but in a different manner... would the result be different as well?

"That present was what accompanied me all throughout those lonely days and nights." Not once did Wakasa sleep peacefully without the little clothing in his grip. It was as if every night, he kept on wishing for it to be Y/N instead. "But something was missing. A part of me felt empty seeing it unfinished." Behind him, Y/N straightened the clothing and found something new on it.

"So I tried to continue it and added your initial next to mine..." As Wakasa continued, her eyes widened in realization. While making this clothing, she indeed put Wakasa's inital on it while imagining it worn by a child who resembles him so much. But she didn't expect him to put her initial next to it as well. At this very moment, Wakasa raised his head from her shoulder and met her teary gaze. "As a symbol of our bond." Right then and there, the thought that this might just all be a dream once again crossed Y/N's mind the moment Wakasa smiled softly at her with eyes holding so much affection. It felt too good to be true in her case and she can't help but be teary as he carefully placed his forehead against hers.

He knows to himself. He loves her with all his heart. Yet how weird it is... when Y/N left for the US, he only weeped and moved on, but for the past months when they were almost convinced that she's dead, he was willing to give up his life too.