Chapter 34: A Friend's Care

YOUR POV

"You were attacked again??" Ah first thing in the morning, Astrid's voice is all I can hear in the room. The second I woke up with my body aching, it's her voice that greeted me early in the morning. Did she even sleep or did I just wake up late? Nonetheless, here I am sitting on someone else's bed in an unfamiliar place as I explain to her what really happened before she found me injured out in that alley last night.

I do remember running into guys yesterday who I fought and later on found out they were Calix's men. Which is why Astrid is very much not in a good mood, finding out it's her brother behind the sudden attack.

"Oh they've really gone too far this time!" She glared dangerously at the window while clinching her fists in frustration. "At this rate, they don't care about the money your father is willing to pay! They're just straight up aiming for your head!" She pointed at me and leaned back, crossing her arms and legs. "They're pissing me off."

I was doing fine fighting all of them but I let my guard down too early and became too overconfident, not realizing I was walking towards my own grave. Unfortunately, I was shot by one of them. It didn't hit any viral organ but if Astrid hadn't found me that time, my situation would've gone to worse.

And I was scared.

I was scared that I won't be able to go back. That I'll be captured. Spending my time hiding in a dark alley to get away from those men, I can't help but grow scared of what could've happened. What if they caught me? What if I was taken away? Would I have to leave my friends again just like that? And Wakasa... I was just thinking about our current situation before all of that happened. I wonder how he would've reacted if I never came back home.

Will he look for me?

Will he be worried?

I  was so scared that I won't be able to see them one last time. I was scared that I'll be away from them again and it might be forever. After all, I never do plan in returning to Calix. If I get caught, it's over. I'd rather die than be with him again.

"And what the hell is Calix thinking letting his men do as they wish?!" Astrid's voice cut me off my thoughts and I chuckled at her. She's been so worried. Even last night when she took me in, she can't even shut up about my condition. Even threatened the doctor who treated me to keep quiet of my existence.

"Astrid, your blood pressure." Her charming emerald eyes softened as soon as they landed on me.

She stood from her seat and walked up to the side of the bed, pulling my figure in her arms as she hold me tight in her warm embrace.

"I'm so sorry." I heard her choke on her own tears as she apologize. "I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Y/N. I want to punch my brother so bad for letting this happen." She cried out and I soothed her an calm her down. I know how much Astrid feels bad and guilty on my situation. She takes the burden that her brother is supposed to bear and I know it kills her too. I know it makes her feel bad because she couldn't do anything to go against her own brother when they're still under their father's guidance.

"Don't feel bad. This is a part of the consequences for my actions." I patted her back. I don't blame her if she can't help me. This is my own battle anyway. She will only get herself in a dangerous situation if she interfere.

"Don't blame everything on yourself. You did nothing wrong." She sniffed and pulled away, placing her hands on my cheeks. "You ran away because of them. None of it is your fault." Her eyes are still watery as she spoke. "I'll be returning to the US later tonight. I promise I'll try to stop him. That's the least I could do for you." She said, wiping her wet cheeks and I smiled at her genuinely.