Chapter 40: Run With Me

WAKASA'S POV

"Come out, babe. I came to get you back." Said the man outside in a mockingly affectionate tone. The house is somehow so quiet that only his slow and irritating footsteps, and voice are heard echoing yet I can feel there are many of them who barged in. In the corner of my eye, I saw Y/N clench her fists tightly while staring blankly at the door as if she's waiting for it to bust open.

"You just suddenly left me hanging in the altar that day." He added and a loud crash was heard, indicating that he barged into another room, forcefully damaging the door. By his words, I knew immediately who he is even when I've never seen him in person nor heard from him. It made me feel fear for this someone beside me. "I waited for you, you know." He continued to mock his tone as if the girl beside me is gonna fall for such childish tactic. "Was it because of your miscarriage??" Faint chuckles were heard in a distance. At that, it's not only Y/N who froze at his words. I, too felt the shock at how he casually said it in a mocking manner. And to think that the rest of his men made fun of it, it pissed me off to the point that I want to get out of this room and punch them.

When the chuckling died down, he spoke up once again and this time, I felt my blood boil.

"You know we can make another one anytime."

I wanted to explode. My mind was filled with dangerous thoughts despite him being a mafia leader. But as much as I'm tempted to get him killed right this moment, it all faded quick when I heard Y/N laughing to herself quietly. I turned to look at her and saw her fists trembling.

"Fucking bastard." She cursed with her voice trembling and breathless. Her eyes were blankly staring ahead as if she can't see anything but darkness.

If it affected me that much to think of such things to go after his head, what more about her? I can't imagine how mad she is at the moment, considering she's the victim and the offender just casually made fun of her situation. I would've gone crazy.

But she needs to stay strong.

Staying quiet as possible, I held her fist and pulled her to a dark corner and away from the door.

"Let's calm down first, Y/N." She stop trembling under my hold and I can tell her nails are already hurting herself. Her eyes remained staring blankly at the door as if anytime soon she's about to burst into tears. I cupped her cheek and made her face me, repeating what I said. When she finally snapped back to reality, she lowered her head, ashamed.

"You're right. Sorry." She apologized but a loud banging was heard. This time it's nearer and obviously just in the next room as the other guy called out to her repeatedly. She must've started panicking when her breathing fastened and she turned to me. "Wakasa, you need to get out of here. I can stall them for a little while. Just make sure they won't spot you."

My face immediately formed a scowl, displeased by her thinking.

Is she serious?

"You really think I'll leave you here?" I gritted my teeth and kept my voice as low as possible to not attract unwanted attention.

Is she even thinking properly? Making me go run away and leave her here at the brink of her death? Do I really make her feel that unwanted?? I couldn't even care less if I won't be getting out of here unbruised. My mind is too busy worrying about her and here she is worrying about me... It's so stupid when she's the one who's in most danger here.

"I'm not giving you a choice. Your life is in danger here too." She shook her head. "No one saw your face yet. You can still back out of this. I don't want you to get involved furthermore." I glared at her when she started to push me towards the window where I suppose I should be escaping by now.

Annoyed, I held her wrist, stopping her from moving further.

"I am NOT leaving you." She's seriously pissing me off right now. I don't care if she's worried for me. She's the one who she should worry. There are a lot of guys surrounding the place and she expects me to just leave her like that.

Just like that.

Like she's someone who has no existence in my life.

"Why are you so caught up in leaving people behind, huh??" I growled and she took a step back at my reaction. "I have let you out of my grasp before and I'm not letting it repeat again." I tightened my hold on her as if I'm scared of letting her go in fear of losing her again. I have made a mistake before for letting her out of my sight. Now I'm not letting it happen again.

I'll stay with her no matter what.

"Wakasa, this is no time to joke. I'm trying to think of getting you to safety this time. Just please do what you're told." She almost pleaded but it only ticked me off even more.

"I don't fucking care if you're thinking of my safety. Why are you so fucking stubborn??" It frustrates me that she still doesn't get it. Every single thing that I did. Every single thing that I said to her.

Why does she still have no idea about how I really feel for her??

Why can't she conclude properly that I've made up my mind to not leave her??

"Just do what you're told, Wakasa." She tried to slide my hand off her wrist but I firmed my grip on her.

"I'm not leaving." I stubbornly responded. If she's gonna be a hard headed then so will I. Let's see who gets to surrender first to the other's decision. It's surely not me. Suddenly, she grew quiet. Time seem to have stopped that I can no longer hear the people from outside talking and walking. The thing that's on my mind is her alone.

"I already told you." She quietly started as she stare at the floor. "If I'm caught then that's my finish line. Let's just accept it, Waka. You know I can't keep running forever." Her voice trailed off and it broke my heart to hear her words. Is she really just accepting that kind of fate?

The memory of the time we talked about it flashed in my mind. It hurt me to think of losing her because I don't even want to imagine what will happen after she gets caught. And yet she's ready to face that kind of fate just so she could save me from these men's wrath.

I felt my breath hitch when I opened my mouth to speak.

I gave up before and I lost her. I can't give up again when she's given up now.

"Then I am not letting you reach that line." I may not be Shinichiro who always pulled her up whenever she stumbled... but I'm Wakasa.

The one who fought for her always behind her back.

"I'm here with you."

I almost forgot...

That I was her soldier once.

"I made a promise to your mother and to myself. I'll stay with you and help you. So stop pushing me away because that's never gonna happen." Somehow, my anger has started to fade away as I caress her puffed cheek as she tried hard to prevent herself from shedding tears.

I know she doesn't want that kind of fate. I know she doesn't want to end everything here yet. And there is so much more for her to experience yet. I can tell it by her eyes that held an emotion that broke my heart. The hopelessness that she's feeling is torturing me.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I took a deep breath before muttering the words I wanted to say.

"Run with me." She didn't seem to catch it that fast when she raised her brows in confusion. I sighed before pulling her closer so she can hear me. "Run with me, Y/N." Her beautiful E/C eyes widened when it finally registered in her mind and her lips parted slightly in surprise. As much as I'm flustered to say such things, there's no backing out now. I need her to give in no matter what.

"You're not alone anymore."

We're surviving this together.

And I'll make sure she gets to spend a life of freedom.

"I'll run beside you."

___________
Author's Note:
Foinallyy I get to update! Thank you for your patience!

I noticed this story had a lot of high rankings and it's all thanks to you, guys~ muwah!