Season 4 Ep 16

"We're gonna lose her, Damon." Stefan sighed, "Her humanity is off. Everything that made her who she was is basically gone right now. She's numb to it all."

"She's a vampire!" Damon defended.

I pursed my lips, "She burned down her family home... with her dead brother's body INSIDE. That's not really an easy thing to come back from."

"Okay, fine. I'll just push the sire bond and poof, her humanity is back." Damon shrugged.

Stefan shook his head, "No. Her brother just died... all of that grief is going to overwhelm her. She has to find a reason to turn it back on by herself."

Damon sighed but eventually agreed, "We will show her a good time. We will figure it out!" In the middle of the bickering, Caroline entered with what looked like her shower bag. I gave her a questioning look which my brothers shortly followed suit.

"Blondie, what are you doing here?" Damon scoffed.

Caroline sighed, "The shower filters... mostly. You also have the only house that doesn't have vervain in the water."

"So many people to kill..." Damon sighed.

"Why don't we find a way to keep her distracted, like going to school? Since your fun route didn't work out very well, did it?" Stefan suggested.

Caroline nodded, "That might actually be a good idea."

"Sounds good to me!" Elena's voice filled the room.

We all turned to see Elena. A very naked, Elena. Damon obviously continued to look, Stefan pretended to clear his throat and look in other directions. Caroline instantly covered my eyes.

"Yeah, because I am going to look, Caroline." I scoffed with a smirk.

"It's like you guys haven't seen it before." Elena rolled her eyes.

I instantly rose my hand, "Actually I haven't, nor do I intend to."

"We will see you guys at school." Caroline gave me a scoff and a nudge before pulling me behind her out of the room.

***

"She dropped me on my HEAD, and now she's throwing a party!?" Caroline scoffed. "I got here as soon as I could."

I shrugged, "Yeah well it won't last... they'll get bored and leave, or Damon will kill them all!"

"We can't compel them, they all have vervain in their system. So, what do we do?"

"Have fun." I smirked, "Make sure no one dies, get drunk..."

"She does look like she's having fun." Caroline smiled as she watched Elena dance, "Yes, all of this is super bad. But, look at her? It's been so long since she's just been able to just have fun and smile."

"Now it's your turn."

I smiled as I took her hand and spun her into my arms. She smiled back as she gave a small kiss in return as we started to dance. All over again I was remembering why I was in love with her. It was her smile. Her laugh. Her eyes. What really got me was the way that she looked at me. As always, great moments here always get ruined by something. We both heard bickering between Elena... and Liz.

We rushed to the front door to see Elena shove Liz into a nearby wall, which Caroline and I reacted quickly. She went to her mom, and I held Elena against the opposite wall. Stefan put a hand on my shoulder, a sign telling me to relax and take a breath.

"Stefan, you need to get her our of here before I handle her myself." I warned.

Before any of us could react, Elena was gone and out the door. I let out a breath and gave a look to Caroline and Liz. I clenched my jaw when I turned back to Stefan, knowing we were about to go wonder the woods to find her. I let out a scoff and pushed past them into the night.

***

The party was over, Elena was found, and we were all back at the house. Caroline sat alone by the fire... playing on her phone.

"You doing alright?" I sighed, taking a seat in front of her.

"Other than my bestfriend tried to kill me?"

I sighed, "This is going to be huge coming from me... but you have to remember that it isn't her doing this. Her humanity is off so the worst versions of herself are on the surface right now."

"So, how do we get her back? If we even can? She's an orphan. She just lost her brother. Her life SUCKS right now, so why would she want to come back?"

I bit my cheek in thought, "Even when Stefan was the worst parts of himself... it was Elena that never gave up on him. Even when I did. So, we have to hold out for THAT Elena."

She leaned forward and smiled at me as she took my hands into hers. She didn't say anything... I guess she didn't really need to. We just stared for a moment, smiling. Enjoying yet another moment. Only this time, I chose to change it by saying a smartass remark.

"However, for the record, if she tries to kill you again..." I smirked.

She rolled her eyes with a smile, "Mhm. Of course."