Season 4 Ep 10

We gathered in the school gym to mourn the loss of someone. Carol Lockwood was no longer with us, and all we could do was listen to Mrs. Forbes talk about the terrible accident she had. We all knew it wasn't an accident... at least, a handful of us knew. I sighed as Caroline lit my candle with hers and I turned to do the same for Tyler. I clenched my jaw as he shook his head and stormed out.

My eyes followed him I spotted another blonde. The worst one. Rebekah. I whispered to Caroline and told her I would be right back. I turned down halls and peaked into all of the rooms along the way. I didn't get lucky in finding her until it was the last hallway, closest to the library.

"Karson." She smiled, "I just knew you would come looking for me."

"What game are you playing?"

She scoffed with a smile, "Sounds like you! Always wanting to play games with me."

I sighed and shook my head, "Look, whatever Klaus did to piss you off this time can we just move past that and tell me what you're doing here?"

"Perhaps you're right and I am trying to play a game. Last I knew, we were looking for the cure. Yet, everyone is still a vampire. I am trying to figure out what went wrong." She stepped closer and locked onto my eyes for compulsion, "Lets go into the library, shall we?"

I sighed as I followed her into the library, only to see Stefan, Caroline, and Elena already sitting around waiting. I gave them all a confused look as I took a seat between Stefan and Caroline. Caroline gave me a smile of relief as she took a hold of one of my hands.

"Well," Rebekah started, "Now that everyone is here... I want to know what went wrong. Why are you not humans."

"We're not gonna tell you anything." Stefan scoffed.

Rebekah's eyes went wide, "But, the cure was for Elena! You're one, epic love! Why suddenly turn your back on that?"

The room went quiet, and a lot of awkward looks were exchanged among all of us. I sighed and looked around the room to avoid immersing myself into all of the tension. Rebekah knelt next to me and pulled my face to hers, making my eyes lock once again.

"What happened? What am I missing." She compelled.

"Elena slept with Damon." I answered, instantly sending an apologetic look to my brother.

I knew he didn't blame me, but that doesn't mean he didn't feel the pain all over again. He didn't deserve this. He deserved more than what he was getting. I clenched my jaw so the anger didn't turn into rage. Rebekah then turned to Elena.

"Elena, how do you feel about Stefan?"

"Seriously!" Caroline scoffed, "What does this have to do with the cure? Just leave them alone."

"Answer the question, Elena. Do you love Stefan?"

"Yes." Elena answered. "I care about him."

"Are you IN love with Stefan?" Rebekah pushed.

Elena paused for a moment, "No..."

I let out a breath once again, this was becoming ridiculous.

"Rebekah, what are you trying to prove? That you're just as awful as your brother?" I scoffed.

She laughed, "Funny you mention that, Karson! You fancy my brother, don't you?"

"None of us like Klaus, Rebekah. We're all using him for the cure." Stefan replied.

"Oh, but not Karson." She smiled, turning to me, "Go ahead! Tell them."

"Yes, okay. Klaus is not the worst company in the world because he accepts everything that we are and everything that he is without throwing a pity party. I envy that. The guilt, the sadness... he feels it but it doesn't consume him. He is a great friend to have and I would like him in my corner."

"You can't be serious... he wants to use me for a blood bag, don't you get that?" Elena questioned.

"Funny you say that!" Rebekah smiled, "Karson has some choice words for you... isn't that right."

"Karson." Caroline sighed.

"I think we all could do a lot more living if we all weren't hell bent on fixing the world of Elena Gilbert."

***

"That was harsh, Karson. What you said about Elena." Stefan sighed, handing me a drink.

"Someone had to say it."

Before he could answer me, Rebekah made her way inside. Stefan ran off and did his own thing while the two of us chatted. She was unsure why I had asked her here.

"The cure trail is cold, so what is it you need from me?"

"I want you and Stefan to keep looking for the cure. You both want it, so you should have it." I sighed, handing her a drink of her own.

She scrunched her eyebrows, "Shane is dead."

"Thanks to Bennett, he's very much alive. So, will you help Stefan or not?"

"What's in this for you?"

I sighed and let a smirk grow on my face, "Stefan still believes everything with Elena is from the sire bond with Damon. He wants the cure so he can see her true feelings... You, on the other hand... despite everything, I know you want the cure more than anything. Because that's the life you want and I want that for you."

"You really are a sweetheart, aren't you?" She smiled, "Caroline is a lucky girl."

"So?" I smiled in return, "Say we be friends, and I get to watch you get all gray and wrinkly?"

"Alright, Salvatore. You've got a deal."