Season 4 Ep 1

"If the council is after you, why are you still here?" I questioned.

She shrugged, "I have no where else to go."

"Alaric told the council about you and Tyler... it isn't safe for you Caroline."

"I know! Okay, I know that. I just... I don't know where to go. And now this thing with Elena."

"You mean her being a vampire." I sighed, "How about we stop worrying about Elena. I don't think anyone in this town notices, but there is a whole life outside of the Gilbert household."

"She's my friend, Karson."

I scoffed, "Caroline, your LIFE is in danger. Stefan and Damon can take care of Elena, that's what they would rather do anyway. Who do you think they would save? You or her? Be selfish for 5 seconds..."

"You don't know that."

"I do. They're my brothers. I've seen this before. Does the name Katherine ring a bell? Go home, Caroline. Pack light. I'll pick you up soon."

"You'll pick me up?"

I smirked, "If the only way to get you out of town is by escorting you out, then yes, I will pick you up. All you have to do is grab some stuff. I'll check on Matt and Elena. But we WILL leave this town, Caroline. Got it?"

She nodded with a small smile on her face. Her arms wrapped around my neck in a tight and quick hug before she paused at the door. She turned once more to look at me.

"Why do you want to go with me?" She asked.

"Maybe I like you more alive than dead." I shrugged with a teasing tone.

"Seriously, Karson. Why not follow your brothers and help them."

I bit my lip and locked onto her eyes once again, "They'd choose Elena. I'd choose you."

***

"How is she?" I asked, entering the Gilbert house.

Stefan sighed as he put the last of the dishes away, "Do you care?"

"Guess I deserve that," I nodded, "I care, Stefan. I just don't think she should be babied about this. She hates everything about us. She hates everything about being a vampire. We know she doesn't want this... everything we are, she hates."

"That's not true, Karson. She doesn't hate us."

"I didn't say she hated US, Stef... she just hates what we are. So, forgive me for not wanting to help her transition. She won't want this." I pushed.

Stefan slammed his hands on the table, "Do you not think I know that! I know she never wanted this! I am the one that left her in the truck! I saved Matt, not her. This is MY fault. So, I am trying to fix it."

"Okay." I nodded with a sigh, "How do you plan on doing that?"

"Bonnie. She's strong and powerful. She's trying to find a way. She was able to bring Jeremy back."

"I definitely have my money on Bennett, but what's the backup? Are you preparing Elena to make the transition?"

He shook his head, "No. She made a joke about crossing that bridge when we get there."

I smirked, "Love the heightened emotions. Anyway, I-... I came to say bye. Alaric told the council about Caroline, so I'm leaving town with her."

"You can't leave, Karson. Your family is here."

"Caroline is in danger, Stefan. I won't let her stay just because of Elena. Enough people choose Elena over her and I refuse to be one of them."

He shook his head at me once again, but before he could say anything more there was a knock at the door. I shared a gaze with him only for the door to be kicked in and a bunch of men with guns came rushing in. If it weren't for Stefan, I would have killed some of them. He noticed something I didn't... their bullets were wooden.

"This should be fun." I sighed.

***

"Are you alright?" A voice filled my ears, "Karson, wake up."

"Rebekah?" I coughed, "They ratted you out too, huh?"

She nodded, "Unfortunately."

"Karson?" Elena sighed.

"I thought I killed you?" Rebekah questioned.

I scoffed, "Technically, you did. Rather a dick move by the way."

"I haven't fed..." Elena added.

Rebekah laughed under her breath, "Oh, I get it. She had blood in her system when she died. By my count, you have maybe 3 hours left. After that, I get to watch you die all over again."

"Just ignore her." Stefan scoffed.

I leaned against the wall of my cell, watching Stefan and Elena go back and forth. Come to find out, the only reason Elena was on the bridge to begin with was because she finally chose. She chose Stefan. She was headed back to Stefan. She wasn't gonna toy with them anymore. I let a soft smile grow on my lips. Now we just had to find a way for Elena to feed so she could live. Well, sort of live.

Rebekah called for the guard again. She tried offering money, castles, anything that they might be interested in order to let us go. The guard was stern as he would rather watch us suffer and die instead of taking whatever else there was. She showed her fangs and charged at him, causing him to jump back. Big mistake as Stefan reached through his cell bars and smashed the guard's head over and over again until his body fell to the ground, in front of Elena.

Elena was slow, but she did it. She fed.

She completed the transition.