2x5

I was helping Liz carry and arrange her boxes.

"Thank you for the help." She smiled.

"It's no problem, Mrs. Forbes."

"You can call me Liz, Karson."

"Wait, you're off today?" Caroline emerged.

"The Historical society is today! You signed me up for it." Liz rolled her eyes with a smile.

"I know I just figured you'd bail" Caroline scoffed.

"Nope! I am off work and I get to spend the whole day with you!"

"So, you're being the pretend mother now?"

"Come on just give me the day!"

"Careful what you ask for, Liz. She's been in a mood." I smirked.

"Goody for me!" Liz laughed, "What was Elena doing here late last night?"

"Elena?" I questioned.

"Oh, she just needed to talk. Her and Stefan are having a rough patch."

"And you two? Are you okay?" Liz pushed.

"What, you mean you can't see the joy in her eyes?" I teased, placing a kiss onto her cheek as she nudge me away.

"Look, there's a difference between a pretend mom, and reality. Let's not push it." Caroline scoffed and made her way out of the room.

"Caroline..." I sighed.

***

"Good, Karson, just the baby brother I was looking to find." Damon smiled, taking a hold of my shoulder.

"Damon, can't you just PRETEND to be normal? One day? Why are you here? Especial when this is a volunteer event." I mocked.

He smacked me upside the head, "Funny. But, we volunteered for trash duty."

I gave him confused eyes and searched the trash workers, only to see Mason taking bins into the woods.

"As much as I hate agreeing with Damon, we have to take him out." Stefan informed, ""He tried to expose us."

"Well, alright then." I nodded, following them into the woods.

We followed in deep enough to where we were away from the party.

"Go ahead and run." Damon smirked, "We'll give you a head start."

Mason nodded and took a few steps back. Before any of us could do anything, shots rang through the air and all of us were down on the ground. We struggled in pain until finally, Liz cam and put us out with vervain,

***

"You have to drink." Damon groaned.

"No, I'll be fine. It'll just take a little longer." Stefan sighed.

"He's right." Caroline agreed, "If there's a time to go off the diet..."

"He'll be okay." I promised, sending Stefan a nod.

"Well, this is gonna be a nasty clean up..." Damon scoffed, turning to Liz, "And you! What am I supposed to do with you."

"Just kill me." Liz spoke, distraught.

"Wait, what if we don't have to kill her?" I stated, "We could dry her out like we did with Damon."

"Swell memory." Damon mocked, "But not a bad idea. Wait for the vervain to leave her system and compel her."

***

"Can you just keep Caroline away from me?" Liz asked, "I don't want to see her."

I saw Caroline from the corner of my eye, "She's your daughter."

"And you're the boyfriend that probably begged her to change. Promised her forever, right?" Liz shouted, "Either way, that's not Caroline anymore. That's not my daughter."

"You have no idea how wrong you are." Damon stated.

I heard Caroline walk away so I sent Damon a look and followed after. I found her upstairs, cuddling a pillow.

"Want me to take you home?" I offered, taking a seat beside her.

"No, Katherine would just be there waiting."

"She threatened you to spy, didn't she?" I questioned, getting a nod from her. "Who did she threaten?"

"You." She cried, "She threatened you. And I am so scared of her, Karson... SO scared."

"I know, I know," I calmed, placing a hand on her cheek, "It's okay to be scared."

"Why is she doing this?"

I shook my head and pulled her into my arms, placing a kiss on her head, "I don't know... But we'll fix it."