3x9

"Thought I smelt something awful." I smirked, watching Rebekah paint her nails.

A soft smile formed on her lips, "Good to see you're back to your normal self."

"I think I have an apology train that I need to get on... but, what can I say, I wanted to see you."

"Should I be jealous that the witch was the one that brought you back?"

I laughed, "Does it help knowing that she tortured me first?"

"A little bit." She smirked, looking over at Michael. "He should be waking soon. It would be best that you not be here when he does."

"Yeah... I definitely don't want my heart thrown across the room before the dance tonight." I smiled back at her, getting her attention, "I assume you're going. So, I don't know, maybe our first do-over could be there? Tonight? Together?"

Her smile grew rapidly, "I thought you'd never ask."

I smiled once again and knelt near her, "And, putting everything aside... They filled me in about your mother. I'm sorry that I wasn't exactly here for you during that. And I am sorry Klaus took so much from you."

"Nik is my brother and it has been insanely hard trying to grasp that he was the one who killed my mother... but I never imagined that I would help put the stake in his chest." She sighed.

I let out a sigh, "I know... but maybe after tonight things will start to get better. Especially, if you're wearing this."

I smiled as I pulled out her mother's necklace. She smiled as tears began to fill with tears. I motioned for me to put it on and she quickly nodded. I draped the necklace over head and clasped the two ends together. When she finally turned back to face me all she could do was smile.

I glanced over at Michael, noticing his hands were starting to get color, "I think that's my queue."

"I'll see you tonight then?"

I nodded, "See you tonight."

***

"How do you feel about a back up date?" Elena smiled, obviously hiding something.

"I'm going with Rebekah... you know that." I scoffed, trying to go upstairs.

She jumped in front of me, "She's already there! She wanted the first time you saw her again to be special. Since the dance itself is ruined she wanted to make it more exciting."

"Really?" I shook my head in disbelief, "Elena, this is out do-over. Whatever you and my brothers have planned we don't want involved. If you're lying about this..."

"I'm not!" She promised, "Come on. We should go."

I shook my head again but gave in, "Okay! I guess let's go."

We made our way to the dance, and right off the bat it was awkward. Caroline was the first to approach us and automatically felt uncomfortable.

"Karson, I thought you were coming with Rebekah?" She asked.

I nodded, "I am. I have to go find her I guess..."

"Karson..." She sighed, grabbing my arm before I could walk away, "I'm really glad you're back. That YOU are back."

I gave her a small smile, "Me too."

"I'm sorry, about all of it."

"Look, Caroline," I sighed, "I was ready to consume myself in the idea of us being together forever. And I did. I put so much trust in you that I pushed aside all of the bad. We just aren't meant to work... but, that's okay. You're with Tyler now."

"And you're with Rebekah." She slightly snapped. "I thought I was your first."

I slightly shrugged, "They compelled me to forget them when I first met them. Rebekah and I... we have history. I don't know what we are, or what we will be."

"Well, I hope you are happy. I hope you become happy."

"Thank you." I smirked, "And... about the whole snappy Tyler's neck thing... I'm sorry. Is he okay?"

"Other than the fact that he is sired to Klaus right now, he is okay." She rolled her eyes.

I squinted my eyes, "So, he has to do what Klaus says?"

"Yeah, pretty much. And he's okay with it! He might worship you at your feet to be honest."

We both shared a small laugh and sharing a small gaze. It was then followed by a silence of us watching those around you.

"Well, I should go find Rebekah." I stated.

"I should find Tyler." She nodded.