3x22

"I don't know why I need to be the babysitter for Elena." I scoffed, getting nudged by Caroline, "You guys are the ones who love her. Not me."

"Come on, Karson. I know you aren't really team Elena... but I am pretty sure blondie is! If you won't do it, I am SURE Caroline would. I bet even Tyler would help." Damon mocked over the phone.

I sighed, "Alright, I get it. But one of you needs to come back. I won't do it all day. I have better things to do with my never ending life. Plus, Jeremy is the one that was dumb enough to take her to a hospital where ANY original could get to her."

"Yes, we know that and I appreciate you not being the dumbest brother in the world. Now, please, just get her home and do whatever it is you need to do."

The phone clicked as I hung up on Damon. I was getting a side-eye from Caroline. I know she wanted to go save Elena and that she was mad at me for resisting. Yet, I didn't understand what all of the hype was about. She was no better than Katherine at this point. She was toying with my brothers. My family. 

"Yes, I know... I'm kind of being an asshole, okay? I get it." I sighed, motioning to the door, "I just don't agree with what she is doing."

"What is it that she's doing?"

I gave her a look, "You really don't see it?"

"What don't I see." She laughed.

"Elena has feelings for both Stefan and Damon. They both know. She won't choose... It's Katherine all over again. Either way, you should go get Elena.  I don't think I would be the best company."

She smirked and gave me a wink, "You're probably right. Go help Damon hide Klaus."

***

"Damon!" I shouted, entering the storage area, "Come out. We aren't kids anymore. I'm not playing hide and seek. Get the hell out here or I'll leave."

As expected, Damon didn't make himself known. I let out a breath and decided to stick around to play along. Damon's games may have been annoying, but everything always turned out fine. I made my way through the halls. Some of the units were open, while others were closed.

"Karson?" A voice broke the air.

"Rebekah?" I questioned, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for my brother. Where is he?"

I scoffed, "I am wondering the same thing."

We started searching the area together, not exchanging any words. You could feel the tension. Our last encounter still directed our emotions, and it wasn't good. A hand covered my mouth and pushed me against the wall before I could even finish my thoughts.

"Sh. Be quiet." Damon whispered, looking to Rebekah, "You mother's creation is here to try to kill your brother."

"What a family dynamic." I scoffed. "Let's get him out of here then before we die, yeah?"

We all nodded and started pushing the coffin out to where the cars are. Of course, Alaric was able to meet us there. He was strong enough to push all of us off of the coffin and open it. Rebekah screamed and begged for Alaric not to do it. Even myself and Damon were trying to persuade him otherwise.

We were unsuccessful. Alaric showed no hesitation as he pushed the stake into Klaus' chest before it started to ignite a flame. Rebekah cried out and tried to run to him, but I restrained her. She lost her brother, but what she didn't realize that she was the next original on the list. She had to get out of here.

"Rebekah, hey, look at me." I sighed, making her watery eyes lock onto mine, "You have to get out of here. Okay? You have to run."

"I can't leave him." She cried.

"I know, I know. But listen to me. You HAVE to get out of here. If you don't, then you die too. Go find Elijah and Kol and stay the hell away from here."

She took one last look at Klaus, and then to me, and then she ran away from us. I took a place beside Damon as Alaric's face grew angry. He was annoyed. Damon took the first lung, only to be thrown aside. I took a quick breath as I took my own shot at him. I was able to get one shot in, only for him to quickly shove the stake into my stomach... again, and then he ran off after Rebekah.

***

"For what its worth..." I started, "I know she chose him but, he would have chose her too. It's always the other."

Damon gave a fake smirk, "You should call blondie."

"I don't need to call anyone, Damon. I'm where I need to be. I'm with my brother."

"At least I've got one of you." He nodded.

I nodded back at him and we smile at the other. The moment ended when Alaric came back. Damon told me to stand back, that this was his fight. I questioned him at first, because I didn't understand what he really meant by that. Once Alaric started beating the crap out of him, without Damon fighting back, I finally figured it out. He wanted to get hit.

Something within Damon finally snapped, and he came back strong. He wasn't trying to kill Alaric, but he was hoping to knock him out. Alaric paused and took a hold of his chest. Damon and I exchanged glances before Alaric's body fell into Damon's arms. Slowly, his skin grew grey and his body was truly lifeless.

Alaric was dead. Damon was trying not to cry as I think he was in disbelief of what was going on. It clicked in my brain. Alaric was dead, but there was only one way made for him to die. That one way was with Elena's death.

"Damon..." I sighed, kneeling down in front of him.

"He's not dead..." Damon shook his head, "He can't be dead. He's NOT dead!"

Damon!" I shouted, finally meeting his eyes, "We need to go back."

"We can't leave him here."

"He's dead, Damon. Think about what that means." I pushed.

His eyes grew teary, "Elena."