Chapter 29

Stefania POV

I don't know what to do. I haven't seen my family for so long now and all I want is to be with them after all this time. Don't get me wrong, I would love for Danielle to come with me but she can't. It's not the end of the world, we will still facetime and talk every day. I hope she understands that I need to do this. I can't pass up the chance to see my family again.

It's been a few minutes and Danielle is still staring at me not saying anything. "Bambina, are you ok?"

"Stefania," Danielle takes my hands in hers, "you need to see your family. I would never hold you back from them, I just wish I could go with you." Wow I love this woman. There's not a lot of people that will be so accepting and understanding about you leaving them to see your family. This is going to be so tough for us but hopefully we'll be ok.

We settle back down on the couch and eventually fall asleep. I got woken up by Danielle shaking me awake. "What?" I grumble squeezing her tighter.

"Stefania, you're crying in your sleep." Danielle kisses the top of my head.

"I'm ok, go back to sleep." I lift my head and give her a kiss before I settle back down and fall asleep again.

The light through the window shone in my eyes as I wake up. It took me a while before I notice Danielle isn't here with me. I can smell coffee though. I look over to the kitchen and see Danielle leaning against the counter looking at me with a smile, coffee in hand. "Buongiorno Bella." I stand and walk over to her, "when did you get up?" I stand behind her and wrap my arms around her waist.

"I couldn't get back to sleep after you started crying." She turns to me and puts both hands either side of my face.

"Dani, I honestly don't remember doing that. I'm ok, I promise." I give her a quick kiss, "now where's my coffee?"

"I drank it all, sorry." Danielle laughs. I make more coffee as she takes Jeff out for her walk.

I go to the bedroom looking for my suitcase and clothes to take with me to Sicily. I'm still wondering what I was crying about in my sleep. My sub conscious must be having some feelings that I haven't picked up on yet. I also have to pick out an outfit for the party tonight. I'm so excited to actually celebrate our engagement. I hear the front door open downstairs and Jeff running round the house. "Danielle!" I shout.

Danielle runs up the stairs, "what's the matter, are you ok?"

I laugh at the panic on her face, "yes Bambina, I need your help with an outfit for tonight."

"Oh.. Ok" she walks over to the closet and pulls out a revealing dress, "this one." she gives it to me with a wink.

"Oh, I wonder why you chose this one." I place it on the bed.

"Got to have good photo's." She picks out her own outfit, "I have to leave soon to go get the house ready."

"Will I see you before the party?" I grab her wrist and pull her tight towards me into a hug.

"Hmm, maybe. Depends if me, Barrett and Jaina can stay off the drinks." she nudges my nose with her own.

"That's a no then." I laugh.

A while later, Danielle has gone to her house to set up. I'm trying to relax as much as I can today. It's so weird how empty I feel without Danielle being here with me, it's like I've lost a limb.

I message Barrett:

Stef: Barrett, is she staying off the drinks?

Barrett: Actually, yes. We haven't opened the bottle yet but Jaina is creeping to it.

Stef: Can I come and help? I'm bored.

Barrett: I just asked D, she literally screamed no! Sorry Stef.

I finish packing for my trip and start getting ready for this party. At about 7, i hear a knock at the door. I rush downstairs and open the front door, "Jay, what are you doing here?"

Jay stands there with a massive grin, "I am here to make sure you're ready and take you to the party, you look absolutely stunning by the way."

"Thank you Jay," I give him a hug, "you look very smart too."

"Let me know when you're good to go." Jay comes in and sits on my couch.

"I just got to put my shoes on then we can leave." I go back upstairs and put on the heels that Danielle picks for me. I take a deep breath and look in the mirror, making sure I look ok.

I go downstairs with Jay waiting by the front door, "you ready?"

"Si." we get in his car and drive to Danielle's house which is lit up with fairy lights above her front door with balloons attached to them.

As we walk up the path to her front door, Jaina opens it, "welcome to your official engagement party." she hands me a champagne flute and gestures me inside.

I walk through the front door and see Danielle stood there with the biggest smile on her face with her hands behind her back. She walks over to me and pulls me in for a kiss. "You look so stunning."

"You too Bella," I take a look around and there's black and white balloons covering nearly the entire of her ceiling with a happy engagement banner across the fireplace wall, "this place looks amazing."

"Come outside with me for a second, Barrett and Jaina can welcome everyone in." She takes my hand and leads us into her back yard. "Do you remember when you asked me to be your girlfriend?"

"Of course, why do you ask?" We stand there with fairy lights around her garden like I did for mine.

"Stefania, I can't believe how lucky I got with you. You are my best friend and someone who I can't imagine my life without," her eyes filling with tears, "I don't want to even think about how much my heart will ache when you go to see your family but I know I will be talking to you every day and soon enough you will be in my arms again. I have spoken to your dad on many occasions without you knowing. I have got to know him so much and I look at him like a father figure. We have spoken about you and us and what my intentions are with you. I have reassured him that I want to grow old and grey with you. He has given me his blessing to ask you this. I know technically, we are already engaged but I want you to have a proper proposal too." Danielle gets down on one knee, I don't know how she has in that dress.

As she opens the box, I gasp, "that's my mother's ring, how did you get that?"

"Like I said, I've gotten to know your father very well. He sent this for this very moment. Stefania, will you marry me?" Danielle is now crying.

"Of course I will bambina! Get up here." I help her to her feet as she puts my mother's ring on my hand. We hear cheering from inside as we kiss. As we turn around, we see one face that was definitely not invited.