Chapter 31

Stefania POV

Getting on this plane is normally easy for me. Flying back to Sicily is what I've wanted for a long time but this time, it's the worst feeling I've ever had. I thought that the next time I go, Danielle would be coming with me. Leaving her behind is so tough.

I sit in my seat next to the window and wait until takeoff. So many emotions are rushing through my body right now. I'm excited to see my family, angry at the government for not allowing Danielle with me and so stupidly sad for not having Danielle with me.

As the plane takes off, I look through the photo's I have of Danielle and I. Photos of us that we haven't posted on any social media. Photos that are just ours. I already miss her. Tears are now running down my face as I try and hide them from anyone seeing me cry.

I try and distract myself by watching a film but every film they have, Danielle and I have watched together. All I want right now is to be cuddled on her couch watching a film or a TV show we both love. I know we will be talking every day and facetiming. We will be doing 'We Chat Wednesday' too but it won't be the same.

I fall asleep to pass the time and shut my brain off for a while. The next thing I knew, I had arrived in Catania. The sun shone so bright through the window, a part of me is so happy to be here again. The heat hits my skin as I exit the plane. This heat isn't the same as California's, I guess it's because I grew up with this type and I accustom to it very quickly.

I walk through arrivals and see my sister stood there with flowers and my favorite Italian chocolate. "Daniela!" I run to my sister and pull her into a very tight hug.

"Ciao Stefania, oh how I've missed you." She wipes the tears from her eyes as we pull out of the long awaited hug.

"How are you?" I grab my suitcase and bag.

"Never mind me, let me see mama's ring." Daniela grabs my hand and admires our mothers ring, "who would have thought that our Stefania will finally find someone who loves her as much as us."

"I got very lucky." I smile shyly.

"Stefania, do you love her as much as you say you do?" Daniela sounded hesitant to even ask that.

That question made me stop dead in my tracks "are you kidding me Daniela? I would risk my life for her, I would die for her. She is my life now, I don't know what I would do without her." I can feel my anger levels rising.

"Stef, I was just asking." We get to Daniela's car and drive in complete silence.

I didn't think I would get welcomed back here like that. I didn't think I would be interrogated on my feelings for Danielle. If my own sister thinks that, then what is my Papa thinking?

As we arrive at my Papa's house, I see he is stood outside with the biggest smile I think I've ever seen on him. I rush out of the car and run to him. This hug is what I've needed. The smell of his aftershave reminds me of my childhood. This moment makes me so happy. My father eventually pulls away and holds onto my face, "Stefania, my sweet Stefania. How we've missed you." I can see his eyes filling up.

"I've missed you too Papa." Now I am crying again.

"Come inside and tell me all about what's going on in your life." He takes a hold of my suitcase and takes it into the house.

I follow him in, closely followed by Daniela. We sit on the couch and talk all about the show and Danielle. Whenever I mention her, my father just smiles. He can see how much I love her and that's all I need.

My phone vibrates in my back pocket, I quickly check it. A message from Danielle:

Bambina: Hello to the most gorgeous woman on the planet! I hope you got there ok? I miss you, Barrett and Jaina are trying to distract me even though they both have huge hangovers. Facetime me when you're going to bed. I need to see your face soon. I love you beautiful.

I think if I smile any bigger, my face will rip in two. This jet lag is really setting in now, "Papa if you don't mind I'm going to go to bed. The jetlag is getting to me."

"Of course my darling. Let me know if you need anything." He walks over to me and gives me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

I walk upstairs to my bedroom. We have never changed it from how it was when I was younger. Both my father and I agreed that if we keep it how it was, then I would feel more at home when I come back.

I pull my phone out and message Danielle back:

Goddess: Who are you calling the most gorgeous woman? That's you bambina! I miss you like crazy. I thought this trip was going to be for both of us. My sister asked me something which really got on my nerves when I arrived but my Papa is so happy to see me, as am I to see him. I'm actually going to bed soon. Facetime me when you can, I will wait for you.

I jump in the shower and get ready for bed. It's been about an hour since I messaged Danielle and I still don't have a response. If she's with Barrett and Jaina, I don't want to disturb her. Another hour passes and I'm trying my best to keep my eyes open when my phone lights up with an incoming Facetime call from Danielle.

"Hi beautiful!" Danielle's smile takes my breath away every time.

"Bambina! How I've missed that face." I'm trying to keep as quiet as possible seeming as I told my father I'm going to sleep.

"Hi Stef!" Barrett and Jaina shout from the background.

"Hi guys, are you looking after my fiancée?" I laugh.

They both appear on the screen, "more like she has to look after us." Barrett put her hand on her forehead.

Danielle, puts the camera back on her, "guess what we found out about a certain someone? It will blow your mind."