Chapter 73

Danielle POV

"Chris?" I get off the phone with my very angry wife and pull Chris to one side, "can I see the photo you just posted?"

Chris frowns at me, "sure," he gets his phone from his back pocket and loads up the recently uploaded photo of us with Aspen, "here, what's the matter?"

"Crap," I zoom in on my hand and you can clearly see my ring, "what can you see in this photo that shouldn't be seen?"

Chris looks at the photo very confusingly at first then his eyes widen so big, "oh crap. We can't even delete it now because it will be so obvious."

"If anyone notices, we just won't say anything," I start scrolling through the hundreds of comments, "we definitely can't delete it or say anything because people have already noticed."

Chris takes his eyes off his phone and looks at me, "how angry is the Italian?"

I slightly nod, "very."

"Should I be packing up and going off the grid?" Chris takes a look around to see if anyone can hear this conversation.

"Tell Aspen to find me when she's old enough, I will resume Auntie duties then. It's been amazing knowing you Chris," I pull Chris into a hug but we both go into hysterical laughter, "I'll calm her down eventually just give it a few days."

"I'm just glad she's in Brazil because my head would be on a stake right now," Chris pauses for a second, "actually, this wouldn't have happened if she was here."

"Definitely not. I wish she was here though." Wow I miss that woman. I can feel the lump in my throat forming.

"For goodness sake Savre, you go all soft whenever Stef is mentioned. I'm not even like that with Jacob now." Chris leans over to the table next to us and grabs me a napkin.

I turn away from everyone and dab under my eyes to stop the tears, "but you've never been in separate countries before."

"That is true. I would actually be the same as you are," Chris puts his arm around my shoulders, "just remember all of the twats you had to date just so you could get to Stefania."

"Why mention those idiots? Do you want to make me cry even more?" I nudge him away from me whilst giggling.

"I got you laughing though." He has always known how to make me laugh.

Jacob hands Aspen over to me whilst our friends start singing 'happy birthday' to Chris. I love moments like this, being surrounded by people you love and they love you back. Making the most of every second whilst we still can.

I don't know why but whenever I hold Aspen, I start rocking her and humming. I think it all stems from when she was just born. I sang her to sleep most of the time. It's become a habit now. I look down and she is asleep, I take her inside and put her down in her crib taking the baby monitor with me.

The rest of the day is filled with a lot of laughing and a lot of walking down memory lane to when Chris was younger. We have all heard these stories so many times but they never get old and they are never not funny.

I eventually get home way too late to call Stef so I message her:

Bambina: Hey beautiful! I have just got home and I'm not drunk. Yay me! Sorry it's late though. I was looking forward to a late night facetime. Tomorrow is packing day. And then I can start counting down the days until I see you again. I'm pretty sure Mace will distract me though. I love you. I'll speak to you tomorrow.

I get into bed and snuggle up with Ford. Normally he wouldn't be allowed up here but I need some comfort whilst Stef is away.

--

I wake up pretty early. I check my phone and instantly smile seeing that I have a message from Stefania:

Goddess: Good morning Bella! I knew you wouldn't be drunk around the little one. No need to apologize Danielle, we can speak to each other when we can. Go and pack! I can't believe you haven't done it yet, you are leaving tomorrow. I love you so much Bambina. Talk soon.

Bambina: You never fail to make me smile first thing in the morning even when you're not here. Everything is washed though so I just need to get it all in the suitcase. Let me know when you're free today so I can see your gorgeous face.

I put on my music, put my phone in my pocket and start packing my suitcase whilst dancing around the house. All of my clothes are ready, I just need to grab the little things now.

In the kitchen, I am staring at all of the different coffees I have. I instantly think of the one Stef has from Sicily. I rummage through the cabinets and find it, "YES!" I start dancing again and jumping around. I turn around and nearly jump out of my skin. My heart is pounding in my chest. Barrett is stood leaning against the couch.

"Oh please carry on." Her arms folded whilst trying not to laugh.

"Why? Why do that to me?" I am so desperately trying to catch my breath.

"We had planned for me to help you before I go to New York and your front door was open. I did knock though." She slides over the top of the couch and lays down.

"Helping me isn't relaxing on my couch B." I reach out my hand for her to grab. Barrett sighs and takes my hand whilst I help her up.

"Ok so you're going to Texas first right?" Barrett walks upstairs and into my bedroom.

"Yes." I follow her, holding onto this coffee like my life is depending on it. Actually, it sort of is. If anything happens to it, Stef will kill me.

"Then you get to see that brunette you're seeing right?" Barrett jumps and lands on my bed, nearly knocking off my suitcase in the process.

"Are you on about my wife Barrett?" I wrap the coffee in 2 of my shirts and carefully place it in my suitcase.

"Shit, I forgot you married her. What's her name again? Only because the last time you were apart, you were both messaging me about each other and now it feels like you're both strangers." Barrett hugs into Ford who is surprisingly still asleep.

"That was a long time ago." I shout as I walk to the bathroom to grab my toiletries.

"It was last year," Barrett finally gets off my bed and starts folding clothes, "who knows though, you might be over soon because of that lovely photo yesterday, you know the one with the ring?"

"Ok, I dump a pile of things on the bed and start arranging them, "that was an accident. I completely forgot I was wearing it and Stef is good with me now."

"Have you spoken to her since?" Barrett looks at me with her raised and judgy eyebrows.

"We've texted a few times." Now my paranoia is setting in.

"But not spoken? Ok doesn't always mean anything bad. But I would call her just to make sure." Barrett hands me my phone which I placed on the side earlier.

I can't take my eyes off her, what if she's right? What if Stef now regrets all of this?