Steven Conklin- Key (h)

The Summer I Turned Pretty One Shot

Spending the summer in Cousins had quickly become one of your favourite things. Your first summer with Steven, Laurel had agreed to take you with them and after that you spend every summer there with them.

The Fishers were such a lovely family; Jeremiah and Conrad felt like brothers, and Susannah had been nothing but welcoming and so kind to you.

You woke up next to Steven and just took a moment to take everything in – the sound of the ocean, the seagulls.

Trying your best not to wake Steven, you got out of bed and wandered down to the dock, wanting to take in the early morning air.

You hadn't realised you'd fallen asleep on the bench until you felt a blanket being draped over you.

"Steven?" you murmured, feeling him lift your legs to place them on his lap as he sat down.

He smiled, brushing your hair behind your ear. "Hey there sweet girl," he murmured, looking down at you.

"What time is it?" you quizzed, coming out of the sleep fog.

Steven held his hand out to you and then intertwined your fingers. "I didn't look," he shrugged. "I just realised you weren't with me."

You smiled. "You missed me?"

He chuckled. "Always sweet girl," he told you before leaning down to kiss you. "And, I have a surprise."

Your interest was piqued so you sat up, pulling the blanket with you. Steven pulled out a small, wrapped present and handed it to you, a somewhat nervous smile on his face.

"It isn't a ring – yet," he joked, knowing that everyone was expecting that for you two soon.

Laughing, you unwrapped the box and opened it to find a key, definitely not what you were expecting. Steven saw the confused look on your face and pulled out his car keys, showing you a matching key.

"It's the key to our apartment," he told you, looking beyond nervous.

The confusion did not go away at his statement. "We have an apartment?"

He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Well since we both got into Princeton, I thought I'd find somewhere for us to live, you know, together."

Your heart melted at his gesture. "Is this your way of asking me to live with you?"

"If I say yes, will you say yes?"

You hummed in response, getting up from the bench with the blanket wrapped around you as you stood at the railings to look out over the sea.

Steven followed you and came to wrap his arms around you from behind, resting his head on your shoulder. "So? Are we ready to go to IKEA?"

Laughing, you leant back into him. "Yes, we're going to IKEA."

You turned around in Steven's arms, looking up at him with a smile.

"I can't wait to live with you."

~*~

Written by Hannah.