Mary Stuart- My Queen (c)

Reign One Shot

You finished tying up the laces at the back of the fairly simple gown, doing your best to brush it down and make it seem perfect. Mary was a queen after all and although you knew that she was by far the most beautiful women to grace the world, she had to be deemed as perfect by the nobility within the French court.

"I do believe you are ready my queen. And may I say your beauty excels the number of stars in the sky," you commented softly.

It wasn't as though it was the first time you had complimented the queen. You had been far more forward with the young ruler, however due to the fact you had to hide your feelings from the world you unknowingly were apprehensive about showing your affection towards her.

She turned towards you, pushing her dark hair behind her ear, smiling warmly at you. Your dress was much less noble than hers, but still showed a fairly high status. You were Mary's lady in waiting, her favourite to add, and even though you family didn't own vast amounts of land, holding the queens heart had its benefits- many better benefits than pretty gowns.

"That is nonsense Y/N. You know whilst it is just us, you don't have to refer to me as your queen. We are equals. Minus the fact that your beauty certainly outweighs mine by a large amount. You are perfect," she smiled contently reaching her hand out to take yours within her own.

"I forget the last time we had time alone. It's hard to remember how I'm permitted to behave in the presence of certain people," you muttered, not meaning to sound as bitter as you did.

You understood why no one could know. You weren't a selfish person. Your country were relying on Mary's betrothal to the Prince of France and although she was the woman you loved, you would never be allowed to marry her, but no one would suspect a queen's heart belonging to one of her lady's.

"My apologies my love. I wish I could express my love to the world, however we both know that cannot be the case. No one would agree and I am to marry Francis. But you need to know I only have room in my heart for you, no one else, not even my betrothed," she assured you, reaching her other hand up to caress your cheek.

She guided your face towards hers, pressing your lips to her own.

"I'm sorry. I do not mean to sound ungrateful. I am simply happy that I am able to kiss you and call you my love, even if I cannot say that to anyone but myself," you smiled softly.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.