Audrey Jensen- Awkward (c)

You had only started at George Washington High School at the beginning of the week and having been very much involved in catching up with your work and doing your best to try to actually be a semi-decent student at your new school you hadn't had the time to actually talk to any of your peers yet.

It hadn't become too much of a problem so far seen as you weren't expected to do any group work yet, and you had spent every break in the library for catch up, not needing to socialise in that time. However today the library was closed at break for some project that the English Literature students had to take part in meaning your sanctuary was sadly taken away from you.

With your safe place gone, you were left trying to find somewhere else to go. You had tried to go and find a seat in the canteen however there were way too many students and not enough chairs, so you wandered the halls instead in search of a free bench. There was no such luck. You wandered around for the best part of a quarter of an hour until you finally reached a bench that wasn't completely filled with students.

There was a girl in all black with short dark hair sat looking off into space. Her rucksack occupied the other side of the bench, however that was the best option you had so far. You didn't particularly want to talk to the stranger but she was pretty, and she was also alone meaning it was less terrifying than having to tackle conversation with a group.

"Hello," you said softly leaning down slightly and awkwardly waving to get the girls attention.

At first you hadn't noticed that she had her earphones in until she had to remove them from her ears. She smiled up at you which was rather contradicting for her attire.

"Hey."

"Sorry to bother you... um... is this seat taken? I wouldn't ask but I honestly can't find anywhere else and I'm new so I don't know anyone... sorry... this was stupid," you sighed completely losing your guts and it seemed impossible to actually talk to this girl.

She let out a chuckle which would you would have said was uncharacteristically odd for her but that was clearly wrong due to your judgements literally being only from her appearance.

"No one is sat here, the seat is all yours," she stated moving her rucksack to the floor. "So how comes I haven't seen you around new girl? I'd think I'd remember someone like you."

"Thanks," you smiled sitting down onto the wooden frame next to her. "I keep my head down really. What do you mean someone like me?"

She turned slightly in her seat so that she was looking at you rather than straight forward on the seat.

"A beautiful girl. I generally don't miss someone like that," she smiled softly.

You couldn't help but the heat rise to your cheeks.

"Well you must never be able to miss yourself in the mirror."

Quickly your eyebrows furrowed, realising how cheesy and terrible that happened the sound, you didn't seem sweet and nice or like prospective girlfriend or even friend material more the material of someone who should be avoided at all costs as she was creepy.

"That was bad," she laughed.

"I know. I'm sorry. I'm not great with conversation, especially with someone who is attractive and I'm just making myself seem weirder. Sorry... I'm Y/N," you smiled softly attempting to recover but really it was just making things worse.

"It's okay, you should meet my best friend he is equally as awkward, but at least with you I might have a chance with a date that'd I'd actually want to go on. I'm Audrey," she responded reaching a hand out for you to shake.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.