Caleb Knight- Pain: Part 1 (c)

Casualty One Shot

Only a few weeks ago, you spent nearly every day in the emergency department treating patients but now that you had limited movement due to your sizeable baby bump, you had to say a temporary goodbye to your job and take it easy until your bundle of joy was with you. Even if you weren't working there, you made an excuse to visit seen as your husband still worked there and it was where most of your friends were.

You were waiting in the staffroom for your husbands break but he entered the room earlier than expected.

"Have things changed that much since I went on mat leave?" You chuckled. "Since when do you get an early lunch?"

Caleb shook his head. "There are still no early lunches, or full lunches for that matter, but I do need your help."

You tried to shuffle your way forward in the tatty old sofa, but you were very limited on your movements with the beachball that was growing out of your front.

"What do you need me for?" You asked, grunting as you tried to move.

"Well, my bedside manner has never been anything to phone home about," he explained. "Could you come and keep my patient calm whilst I try to give her stitches? She's anxious and she doesn't seem to like me."

You couldn't help but laugh. "Good judge of character then."

He rolled his eyes at you, offering you his hand to help you up onto your feet. You let out a pained groan as you gently rubbed circles on your stomach trying to ease the pain, but you tried to hide your pained expression when you noticed the concern on your husband's face.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

You nodded your head, breathing your way through it. "Just a bit uncomfortable."

You tried to offer him a smile to reassure him, and even though he looked doubtful, he led you through the department towards his patient. With your waddling, it took longer than normal, and you had barely made your way to the bay before you had to pause to breath through your gritted teeth to try and settle the pain that was arising once again.

"Are you sure you're alright?" He asked, pausing before he opened the curtains.

"I'm fine," you whispered. "She's just doing her thing even if it means trying to dislodge my pelvis."

He shook his head gently. "Maybe you should go have a lie down, see if that gets her to move."

"Don't be silly," you said, taking hold of the curtain. "We have a patient to see, a little discomfort won't kill me."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.