Kate Beckett- Finger Paint (c)

Castle One Shot

Although Kate loved her family, you knew that her job was of an equal importance to her, so that was why you weren't in the slightest bothered that you had started to work from home so that you could take care of your daughter. Kate had cut back her hours substantially really so that she had more time with you and your child, Johanna.

Today she was at work until mid-afternoon, so you were keeping the toddler busy with finger paints. Well it didn't really keep her busy to be fair, it just allowed her to wreak havoc for you.

Finally, the front door opened revealing the detective you were head over heels in love with.

"Hello Y/N," she called out closing the door behind her.

"Hi Kate," you responded.

Kate put her bag down and removed her suit jacket, before actually raising her gaze enough to notice the mess that was yourself and your daughter.

"I think someone had a little accident with the finger paint," she smirked.

You had been prepared for the fact that allowing a two-year-old access to paint using her little mitts, she was going to create a slight disaster zone. Premeditating this hell, you had made sure to throw old sheets over the nearby furniture, and throw newspaper over the table and floor. As well as that you had put on a cheap shirt you'd found in a charity shop along with old pyjama shorts that you weren't too bothered if they got ruined.

Currently the white shirt you had worn looked like a colour explosion from the variety of colours that Johanna had spilt or placed onto you with giggles erupting from her at the fun of painting her mother.

"Of course not Katie. I was trying out a new style," you stated rolling your eyes, and directing the little fingers of your child away from the bare table leg and back to the paper she was supposed to be decorating.

"It's a rather marvellous look," she laughed.

"I know isn't it. A bit of green on my face, orange in my hair, pink on my foot, everything on my shirt," you sighed pointing at the different splatters of colour over your skin and clothing.

"Our little girl is going to be an artist," she smiled ruffling the brunette girl's hair but jumped back as painted digits were becoming deathly close to her clean shirt.

You laughed at the fear that covered her face at the thought of her decent clothing becoming something resembling your own.

"Go get changed and join us."

Kate did as she was told, taking refuge in your shared bedroom. When she exited the room, she was now in old pyjamas as well that you knew she wasn't overly happy with so didn't care if she had them ruined.

Probably not making the smartest move, you left Johanna at the table subtly coating your hand in paint so when Kate approached you, pressing her lips to your own, you could smear a layer of the paint to her cheek.

Your wife gasped at the damp layer that was on her cheek.

"Y/N!"

"Kate!" You smirked imitating her tone.

"This is war."

Kate narrowed her eyes dipping her hand into the paint and wiping it across your neck. With that act the two of you began to exchange paint and laughter, along with your daughter who happily got involved and found it enjoyable to see her two mums causing as much chaos as she did on a daily basis.  

~*~

Written by Charlotte.