Penny- Happy Birthday (h)

The Big Bang Theory One Shot

You were the only sibling that your brother was properly close to.

You and Leonard weren't that far apart in age, and growing up you had been there for him when your Mother wasn't exactly helpful.

You lived in New York, whilst your brother and his friends lived in Pasadena so you were right across the country from each other.

Leonard called you at least once a day, and you would always enjoy talking to him because you missed your brother a lot despite being adults.

You knew that Leonard's birthday was coming up, and Leonard's girlfriend had arranged for you to fly out as a surprise for him.

Penny had contacted you around a week ago, asking if you were able to come to Pasadena for Leonard's birthday and of course you agreed because you wanted to surprise him.

The two of you had come up with a plan – you would fly in to LAX and Penny would come to pick you up, whilst Leonard was at work and then you would hide out at her apartment until he got back.

Your plane had just landed, so you texted Penny to let her know you were in baggage claim and once you had grabbed your bags, you headed out into arrivals.

"Y/N!" you heard someone yell, so you turned towards the noise and saw Penny.

You made your way towards her, and pulled her into a hug "It's so good to see you again" you greeted her as she hugged you back.

The two of you pulled away, and you started to follow Penny to her car, "Leonard is going to be so happy" she told you with excitement laced in her tone.

You laughed, and Penny opened the boot for your case before the two of you got into the car.

"Honestly, thank you, I can't wait to see how Leonard reacts" she started the car up as she spoke.

You shrugged and smiled over at Penny, "It's fine, I really wanted to see Leonard and what better time to do it than his birthday" you explained to her.

She smiled also, "You really are a great sister to him, your parents don't even live that far away and yet they aren't coming to see him" she sighed when she told you.

"My siblings, I understand why they aren't making the trip to see him" you stated and Penny nodded in agreement, "But my parents...I haven't spoken to them in a while" you admitted to her.

Penny looked at you in surprise, before returning her attention to the road, "What do you mean? Leonard has always been under the impression that you talk to your parents regularly" she said in confused.

You shook your head, "My Dad...yes, I talk to him at least once a week" you commented, "As for my Mum, well...I went against her wishes for a career and she is still waiting for me to change my mind" you explained and Penny sighed again.

"You're happy with what you do though, aren't you?" she asked and you nodded to reassure her.

The car journey continued, with a lot of music and a lot of signing along and a lot of laughing.

Penny pulled up outside the apartment block, and look confused when she saw Leonard's car outside "Leonard's back already?" she asked herself rhetorically.

You laughed, and got out of the car so that you could grab your bag, "Well he might have finished early at work, it is his birthday after all" you reminded her.

Penny smiled at you and the two of you walked into the apartment block, "True, I haven't even said happy birthday to him yet" she confessed.

You rolled your eyes, and the two of you climbed up the stairs, "God I hate these stairs, I forgot how awkward they were" you said which caused her to laugh.

The two of you eventually reached the floor, and Penny just went and opened the front door "Leonard" she called and you walked inside, shutting the door behind you as you placed your suitcase next to you.

Leonard stopped what he was doing when he realised you were there, and he got up to run and hug you, "Happy birthday big brother" you told him, hugging him back.

He placed a kiss to the top of your head, "Is this where you've been all day? I got back and you didn't answer" he asked Penny, and she smiled sheepishly.

"Well...I wanted to surprise you, and I arranged for when Y/N would fly in" she explained quickly, "We weren't counting on you being back early though" she told him.

After Leonard released you, and you went to hug the others, "Nice to see you again little one" Howard greeted you which caused you to giggle.

"I'm not that little!" you protested and the rest of the room laughed.

"Yeah, especially coming from you Wolowitz" Penny said as she defended you, which made everyone laugh again.

You were glad to be with your family again – the only people you considered family.

~*~

Written by Hannah.