Claire Dearing- Workaholic (c)

Jurassic World One Shot

Claire's passion for work was one of the things that you found endearing when you first met her, but it quickly became one of the things that infuriated you most. You had been dating for a year now, and at first you could accept her cancelling dates to go back to work or spending your movie nights doing paperwork but after a year of it, you were done with being second fiddle to her being uncontrollably a workaholic.

Once again, the two of you had plans to go out for dinner but she had received a call, asking her to head back into the park to sort out some issues with staffing. It was a job that several other people could do, but she would always take it upon herself to do the work, not trusting that anyone could do anything up to her standards. She apologised to you, not looking up from her phone as she sent a text to someone about the issue and grabbed her packed handbag that was always ready for her to rush back to work.

"Can't someone else, do it?" You asked, knowing the answer already.

"I'll only be like an hour, maybe two... three tops," she stated, still tapping away at her phone.

A year of being let down and feeling useless compared to her job finally bubbled up and spilled over. You were done with how she treated you.

"If you walk out that door, I will not be here when you get back," you frowned. "I know your job is important to you, but for once I'd like it to seem like you give a shit about me and put me first."

She looked up from the phone, a confused expression on her face. She had never been one to be open about her emotions, usually preferring to keep it all down and hope that other people could somehow tell, but this time it had clearly backfired.

"Of course, I care about you, Y/N," she said. "How could you think that I didn't?"

"Maybe the fact that you'll drop me for work every single time, or the fact that you never tell me how you feel. There's only so much one person can take. It seems pretty obvious to me that you would rather be at work and not here with me."

Claire let out a sigh. She didn't want to have to explain how she felt but she also didn't want to hurt you, something that she had been unknowingly doing for so long.

"I'm not good with feelings, but here goes nothing. My life sucks less with you in it," she explained. "I didn't realise I was hurting you, but I won't go this time. I can't promise I'll never have to go to work and cancel a date or mess up again, but I will try, for you."

The pain started to ease as you finally felt relaxed and calm.

"That's all I want," you smiled softly. "I just wanted you to try."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.