•1•

Ariana's POV

June 2010

A shaky sigh left my lips as I hit the last note of the song as i finished singing. I'm just not ready to face the judges nor the audience. I just kept my eyes closed for a moment till I saw the way that the stage lit up in blue lights again from behind my eyelids. I felt my throat get dry after singing and holding the high pitch for so long and I couldn't even move. I inhaled deeply until I have gained the rhythm of my breathing again. But soon I was pulled out of my trance by applause that is echoing throughout the whole room. The sudden noise made me spring back to action as my eyes popped open to be met with the bright light coming from the lights around the stage of the studio.

Not even a second did pass before Cheryl was rising to her feet. I couldn't even explain on how she took in the sight in front of me. Every single person had a smile on their face as their hands clasped together, clapping. Not only did I ace my song, but I was receiving a standing ovation for my performance. Cheryl gave me a cheer and sent a smile my way. My hand automatically lifted up to cover my mouth in unbelief as I felt my eyes crinkling with a smile on my face as I was still processing the fact that I had just finished my X Factor audition and was currently receiving a huge applause. My eyes started to water as the cheering went on.

When Cheryl sat back down on her seat, Louis leaned in to talk in her quietly to which she nodded and she leaned back in her seat, her eyes still trained on me in front of them. Simon on the other hand was sitting up then, the pen in his hand long gone. He didn't even speak to any other judges. Instead he just continued to look towards the stage, his focus set on me.

It was rather disturbing. His face was fixed in a world-weary expression. He wasn't even smiling, no sign of stating that he liked the song that I was singing nor a sense of objection.

I stood on the stage as the other two judges leaned forward to tap at their mics. Then the audience started to settle back down once again, sensing that the judges were about to give their comments on my audition. Once the whole room was somewhat quieted and calmed down, Cheryl went and tapped her mic to speak first.

"Wow."

The simple word managed to make my day a thousand times better.

Cheryl didn't speak for a couple of seconds after that. In fact, it seemed as if she was looking for words to describe my performance.

"Ariana," she breathed out, halting her speech once again. "Ariana, that was-" Cheryl sighed once again, smiling at me. "That was the most beautiful original song that I've listened to on the show so far."

The roaring of the cheering rose once again, startling me. But the judges didn't seem to mind.

The most beautiful.

"Darling," Cheryl cut herself off as she looked down and let out a frustrated breath. "Your voice- I don't even know how to describe it. Your voice is, is so delicate." She briefly paused to glance up again. "But held so much power within." Cheryl continued to explain as I listened, my eyes trained on the judge. "The lyrics were so gorgeous, it almost made me cry." She laughed as she playfully dabbed at her waterline with her fingertips with a laugh.

"Your voice and those stunning lyrics and the synthesizer- it was a synthesizer yeah?" Cheryl asked and I quickly nodded in a frantic move.
"- The synthesizer went together so well, I can't even explain it. It was beautiful Ariana. But still," there's always a but, always. "There are small things you should improve in. For example, breathing and all." Cheryl stated while waving her hands around and I nodded, understanding that I needed improvement. "And another thing I love about you-" I then looked up at the lady as she spoke again. "Is your confidence. Knowing that singing an original song is a risk but still doing it. I think it's brave, singing an original song in front of a huge audience. Simon especially is only for the brave darling."