Change of Plans

I do not own this book all rights go to its original author lazarus898

For Earlier access head to patreon.com/lazarus898

Why did you pull me into this genjutsu as well?" Zabuza asked as he looked at Yami. His job was only to spread the mist in a small area so that Yami can put the few guards in that small area in a genjutsu, but Zabuza found himself standing on top of a hill along with Yami. He saw what the guards were seeing. Zabuza was shocked to hear when the guards said that they weren't able to use chakra.

Yami didn't look at Zabuza and said "Because the backup arrived early than we expected so I had to make some changes. When Yami executed his genjutsu suddenly multiple shinobis rushed out from inside the base. Yami didn't know that when Zabuza used the hidden mist technique, someone from inside the building quickly sensed that. Yami and Zabuza didn't think that there would be a sensor jonin inside the base they were attacking.

Zabuza suddenly heard many other sounds than the guards that were in front of him. He looked around and saw another swarm of locusts and there were voices coming from inside the swarm.

"I didn't know people other than the guards also entered the mist." Zabuza said to which Yami replied "They came shortly after you spread the mist. Either it was a trap which is really rare, or they have a strong sensor shinobi among them. I did the same that I have done to the guards but I can't keep two different scenarios going at once. The fight has just started, and the chakra consumption is high."

'Even doing it to one group of normal guards is a big feat and he is doing it to another group that has jonins in them?' Zabuza thought. He never thought genjutsu would be this strong. In the mist, genjutsu was not taught as it was just considered a kind of trickery and method to slow down or confuse the enemy. In the academy, Zabuza was taught to hurt himself a little and get out of genjutsu. As it wasn't deadly enough, no one had any interest in teaching or learning it. But now he is seeing a 10-year-old kid making multiple jonins and chunins dance on the palm of his hand.

The guards were still struggling to kill the locusts or even run away from them. Due to the swarm, there was darkness all around and they didn't know which direction to run in. The locusts maneuvered between them from time to time so that they are some distance apart. On the other hand, the big swarm was not so lucky. Although they had covered everything around the jonins and chunins, they could separate them.

The jonins and chunins had gotten together and maintained an organized formation so that the swarm doesn't overwhelm shinobis one by one.

"What is all this?" one of the stone chunins asked as he was swatting away the locusts on his side.

"I don't know.This place doesn't seem to trigger any memory." Another stone chunin said.

Just said a mist jonin stood behind them and said "This is not real idiotsthis is an illusion." The jonins had understood right away that it was not a space jutsu but a genjutsu.

"Are we going to die like this?" a mist shinobi asked nervously to which a mist jonin patted his shoulder from behind him and said "Nowhoever did this haven't killed us. They must have something else planned."

He then looked at a man to his side which was the same man who had given instructions to those squads and asked " What are your thoughts on this commander?"

The man was in his 40s and had a hint of white hair and a slight hint of beard on his face. He chuckled at the mist jonin's sentence and said "Why is there a need to get scared of something that isn't even real? The genjutsu was created for the good-for-nothing guards. Our sensor sensed the fluctuation and we all stormed from the hidden door we had prepared for emergency evacuation. I am sure the ones who have cast this genjutsu must be drenched in sweat by now trying to keep us in. It isn't easy to keep jonins and chunins in such a complex and real-life genjutsu."

Contrary to what the commander thought, there was only one man casting the genjutsu and he wasn't drenched in sweat yet. His chakra core was supplying him with loads of chakra but Yami was a cautious man and didn't want to feel tired just as the fight started. He knew how unpredictable this world is.

Yami then lifted his hands together and slammed them against each other making the land between the big and small swarm of locusts collapse in the middle as if it was folding inwards.

Zabuza saw as the two swarms got close and eventually mixed into one. He saw both the swarms entangle among themselves. The guards who were now fearful and confused now started to see their superiors and they quickly called them.

"Commander, how are you here? Did you get caught in the space jutsu as well?" one of the guards asked.

"You idiotthis isn't a space jutsu but a genjutsu. Did you lot of garbage think that this is all real?" the commander asked in anger. The guards hung their heads low as they heard that.

"Tskthis whole generation is full of weaklingswhy are you all scared when the insects didn't even attack you?" the commander asked but the guards didn't reply.

Just when the commander was about to give orders, he heard the sounds of someone trying to scream but it was a muffled sound. Everyone looked in the direction where the sound came from and saw locusts flooding inside the mouth of one of the guards. Everyone looked at the guard in horror as they saw the locusts go in his mouth and his eyes bulging out.

The next second, the same thing started happening to others as well. At first, it was only the guards who were the weakest but the sight of this happening planted a sense of fear and disgust in the hearts of others. The chunins were also been overwhelmed by this. The commander saw all this and shouted "Stop fearing itit feeds on your fears." The moment he said that the eyes of the locusts shined red.

Millions and billions of small red dots and everyone felt that it was looking at them. This even made the commander stop talking as he suddenly felt goosebumps all over his body. He saw a big swarm of locusts come toward him. The commander covered his mouth with both his hands to stop the locusts from getting inside his mouth but to his surprise, they weren't aiming for his mouth but they started scratching his body little by little. At first, everyone around the commander and the commander himself was confused as to what was happening but quickly the ones around him had locusts flood their mouth.

Within seconds the clothes that the commander had worn were already riddled with cuts and soon they started making wounds on his skin as well.

"You...think you can do anything to me with this then you are mistaken...arghhh" the commander tried to free himself as even though the small wounds caused little pain, the sheer amount of wounds being inflicted on him every second was enough to make the commander scream in pain.

This kept on going for a few more seconds and even Zabuza couldn't stand the sight of this happening. "I think this is more than enough...I would be begging for death if something like this happened to me." Zabuza said. He didn't know why Yami had to be so cruel to someone who wasn't even his direct enemy.

Yami waved his hand and all the locusts disappeared into dust. Most of the shinobis fell on the ground as that happened while the commander and the jonins were barely hanging onto their life.

"T-This i-isn't real...I-Its just an illusion." the commander kept muttering.

"You are right about it...but you still can't be free from it." Yami's voice fell on the commander's and the jonin's ears. They looked up and saw two people standing on the hill. They couldn't see the people's faces as the sun which was setting was on above the 2 people's heads.

Even some guards who were on the ground responded to the voice at looked at the hill.

As they were trying to figure out who these two people are the color of the sky began to change and right before everyone's eyes, the sky became dark and the sun started to change.

The eyes of everyone watching were half closed due to the suffering but now they were wide open and even their hands started shivering as the sun changed into something else. The entire sun changed its color and started to look like a big 3 tomoe Sharingan.