Rats and Burrows

I do not own this book all rights go to its original author lazarus898

For Earlier access head to patreon.com/lazarus898

In a Bar (Mizukage faction village)

One man was sitting in the corner drinking alone. when the waiter came to him and put down one full bottle of Sake. The Drunk man looked at the bottle and then at the waiter who was now making somewhat of an ugly face.

"Don't look at me like that. One man came in and told me to give you this. I don't know why someone would give an entire bottle to someone like you." the waiter said and was about to leave when the man stopped him and said "Keep this bottle and use the money to settle my today's debt."

The waiter sighed in relief and took away the bottle. The man looked at the people around who were already so busy drinking and talking among themselves that no one even turned to look at what the begger like looking man was doing.

The man then pulled out a small piece of paper and scribbled something on it and threw it outside the window. He then looked down as the paper was slowly falling to the ground. Before it could reach the height of 6 feet from the ground, a shadowy figure appeared and the paper vanished.

"It must be pretty urgent if that rat had to come in my burrow." the man chuckled and continued drinking the alcohol he had. The shadowy figure then disappeared into an alleyway and opened the piece of paper. After reading what was scribbled in it, he burned the piece of paper with a flick of his wrist. The man left the alley to go towards the luxurious sides of the village. The place where the clan leaders in the Mizukage faction stay and entertain themselves.

"Such an expense for a simple password...hmph" the shadowy figure murmured and left.

A few minutes later he arrived at a small house that looked luxurious and had a mist shinobi standing outside. The shadowy figure could easily tell that this man was stronger than him. There weren't many people in the vicinity, as this house was deep inside the residential area, and among the massive mansions around, this was the only small one.

The Shadowy figure went to the door and the mist shinobi didn't stop him. He was about to touch the door when he looked at the shinobi and said "Sweet Dango."

The Shinobi didn't react and stood just like that as if the Shadowy figure didn't exist. The shadowy figure seeing that there was no nod or movement from the shinobi, pushed open the door. He entered the house and saw one man sitting at the table sipping tea while reading a few scrolls.

The man's most notable characteristics were his bald head and purple eyes. He looked at the Shadowy figure and said "You went to my brother to get today's password? That must have been expensive huh?" The man then chuckled and looked back at his scrolls.

"My handler got killed in the slaughter done by The Genjutsu demon...so I had to come myself Hari-sama. But it seems like it was a waste as the shinobi standing outside didn't stop me before I gave the password." the shadowy figure said as he started to remove the scarf that was covering his entire head except for his eyes.

This man was Hari, the right-hand man of Moji and the one that had arranged Yami's kidnapping. He shook his head as he heard that and said "He isn't the type of bodyguard to ask for a password. If you had touched the door without saying the password, he would have killed you right then and there without even asking anything. That's how he is trained. Come in now...what made you come to me so urgently?"

'These people are really madmen. As long as I get my money, I will work with them after that I will desert it and go to some other land.' the man thought as he went and sat in front of Hari on the table.

"I have information on the Genjutsu demon...how much can you pay me for that?" the man asked. The nonchalant attitude and the smile on Hari's face instantly disappeared as he heard the name.

"You better have something good for taking his name in front of me or else I will kill you." Hari said as he stood up halfway and leaned forward toward the man with both his hands on the table.

Hari then continued as he said "I don't care that you are a Konoha shinobi. Up until now, we have only been able to get that kid and so far he hasn't proven to give us any leverage and you already took your full pay. This better be something usable."

"I may be a traitor but I am honest to money so I won't lie. I can tell you exactly where the genjutsu demon will be tonight." The man then slipped a piece of paper on the table. This was the same paper that Yami had sent the spies and this guy was one of the spies. The one that had exposed Hideki's location and due to whom the leaf shinobis could never get proper information on the Mizukage faction.

Hari took the letter in his hand and started to read it. His eyes started going wider and his smile was getting bigger as well.

"Haha...THIS REALLY IS A GOOD NEWS." Hari shouted. He then looked at the man in front of him and asked "Eiji, so that's your real name huh? If what you have given me here turns out to be true then you won't ever have any shortage of money...but if it's a trap then I will make sure to skin you alive."

Eiji waved his hand and said "This is true, Hideki himself set off the signal when the letters were received. He must be with the Genjutsu demon that's why some outsider knows about the bases and attacked them so accurately."

'What he is saying does make sense. His greed for money is unparalleled. Our biggest worry is that during the prisoner exchange the genjutsu demon will interfere and stop our ambush. If I am able to take him down now then the attack on the bloodline clans will go smoothly. Killing Eiji is a waste before I get information about the other spies but he holds that information close and the price he asks is also way too much.' Hari calculated the pros and cons and decided that he will make a clean deal with Eiji for now and get rid of him later if he becomes a liability.

Hari looked at Eiji and said "The place decided by the Genjutsu demon will be where he dies. You get there 2 hours early and scout the place. I am sure the Genjutsu demon won't be there so early so keep an eye on whether there is anyone from the bloodline clans or other leaf spies. We will set up an ambush one hour before the meeting. We need to take him down before the other spies arrive."

'Now that's not something I expected. I thought he would be curious to know the identities of the other spies as well and plan the ambush during the meeting, but the Genjutsu demon is too much of an important target that Hari might not want to take a chance of failure because of Hideki and the others.' Eiji thought.

"I will do as you have said but for now I will need an advance. I have already shown you the letter so don't you think I deserve a little?" Eiji said as he gave a sly smile.

Hari nodded and brought a few ingots of gold from his room. He gave them to Eiji and said "You better do things that I have told you rather than going and gambling like you usually do."

Hari knew the main reason for Eiji's greediness was the gambling habit that had put him in a lot of debt and the main reason why Eiji started selling confidential information for money.

After Eiji left, Hari also left the house to report this to Moji and make the necessary preparations. None of them had noticed that there was still a bat flying above them the whole time. These shinobis were strong enough to sense someone's sight on them but they wouldn't know when they are being tracked by bats using sound waves. Yami's bats hardly used their vision and didn't imbue any chakra in them so it was hard to spot them in the night.

-----------------

Mizukage Building

While Moji was talking with the clan leaders of his faction about the ambush plans during the prisoner exchange, someone knocked on the door. The mist shinobi who was the nearest quickly opened the door to see who disturbed such an important meeting.

As he saw Hari standing outside he turned back and looked at Moji. Moji sensed this and looked at the door as well. Seeing the devious smile on Hari's face, Moji got curious.

"All of you discuss the plans here. I will be back in a jiffy." Moji said as he exited the room.