Being a Messenger ain't easy

I do not own this book all rights go to its original author lazarus898

For Earlier access head to patreon.com/lazarus898

While Zabuza was packing all the weapons in a few storage scrolls and also separating the crates that had the threads in them, Yami continued to look around in the base to make sure that he didn't miss anything.

Yami was also using his enhanced senses to find if there are any hidden enemies. He didn't find anyone except Zabuza to be in the base but then he sensed someone run toward the base. The person was a few hundred meters away from the base.

The man who was running in the woods wore a mist shinobi headband. He had a thin build and anyone could tell that brute strength isn't his forte. But his speed was impressive which made him the best guy to swiftly exchange messages from one base to another.

As the man was running, he suddenly stopped and muttered "Why do I smell blood? The commander is brutal but the smell shouldn't come this far unless it's a complete massacre. Do I go back and report this to the squad captain or go to the base and see what happened?"

The man was confused and as he was struggling to make a decision, he didn't notice that Yami had already reached close to him and was sitting just a few trees away from him.

'I don't know who this man is but he doesn't look the fighter type...Either he is someone with some abnormal skills like a kekkai Genkai or he is a simple messenger.' Yami thought. At first, he was going to kill the man straightaway but seeing that he stopped, Yami decided that if the man come towards the base more than he will be killed but if he returns or stays there, Yami doesn't need to show any mercy.

The man who was now sitting on a tree branch put his hands in his jacket pocket and took out a scroll. He was told to send the letter to the commander but didn't know what was written in it.

'If I knew that what was written in the scroll then it would be so helpful. If it's too important then I will go to the base and give the letter to the commander if not I will just go back. If I go back now and the contents of the scroll turn out to be something very important then the squad captain will hack me to death.' The man thought. He wasn't someone who would be willing to give his life for his village or anything. He was in it for the fun of bullying the bloodline clans and the civilians and most importantly, money.

"Ahh..fuck..I'll just go to the base now or else leaving the squad captain aside, the commander will do worse things to me." the man muttered and took a forward stance to jump on the tree ahead of him.

He realized that he still had the scroll in his hand, so he was about to put it back in his jacket. Just as he expected the scroll to go into his pocket, it fell down. He didn't understand what happened for a second because holding the scroll was his hand as it was falling down.

The man's eyes widened as he saw that and looked at his own hand which now had blood bursting out from it like a fountain. The man was about to scream when the voice wouldn't leave his throat. He looked to the side and saw a kid holding a kunai that was thrust into his throat.

"Whaa..." that's the only thing that escaped his mouth as the next second his limp body fell from the tree to the ground. Yami also jumped down to take the scroll that was still attached to the man's hand.

Yami didn't know where this man came from so when he saw the scroll in his hand, he recognized that this man must be a carrier. If that letter is someone from Moji or Jiro then he needed to read that letter. So Yami had decided at that moment that he must get his hands on this letter.

Seeing the man on the ground, Yami devoured his body and his soul. He felt the throbbing sensation but it disappeared within 2-3 seconds. Yami opened the scroll with a simple sealing technique. He was ready to use devouring law if need be but things were pretty simple due to the lack of fuinjutsu masters in the shinobi world.

Unfortunately, after he read the scroll Yami realized that this letter was from the base he had attacked first and the squads that were sent there to investigate the matter had sent this letter. According to the letter, the base was destroyed and everyone was killed brutally. The ones who survived the massacre had lost their mind and are receiving medical attention.

The only thing that caught Yami's attention was the last line of the letter saying that Moji and Jiro both are at the base and are planning some move and that the commander should come and put a stop to this as soon as possible. Yami understood that the squad captain and commander were maybe loyal to the Tsuchikage or someone else and was keeping an eye on Jiro or else the squad captain won't suggest the commander stop Jiro's plan without even knowing what it is.

'If I knew about this internal strife before then I wouldn't have killed this commander and used him to pressure Jiro more. Whatever what's done is done now' Yami thought as he left the forest and headed toward the tavern where he was staying in.

Before going he had stopped near the base for a quick second and collected the storage scrolls that Zabuza had filled. He said he would contact Zabuza again within a few days and told Zabuza to keep on gathering information as to what was happening in the Mizukage faction.

As Yami reached the tavern, it was almost morning. He made sure to go through the back window in disguise as he knew the village is going to be in chaos when everyone woke up.

Yami went to his room and quickly sat on the bed meditating. He was eager to know what the feeling in his heart was. As he closed his eyes he didn't need to focus on his heart but because he instantly felt a suction force from his heart which pulled his consciousness immediately.

As Yami opened his eyes he saw himself sitting in a white chair in front of a white table in a white room. Yami instantly recognized this room as this was where he came first when he applied for the job of transmigrator.

Yami quickly looked around as to what was happening. He didn't think that he would be back in this room ever again.

"I see that you have been well." A voice came from the chair opposite to Yami and the old man appeared. But along with that something else happened. A document appeared on the table. The document was the same document that he had signed when he took the job. The only difference was that the white colored document was now completely black in color and the letters were in red and it looked as if someone had carved those words with a knife.

Yami saw his previous life's name and everything...He didn't greet the old man and quickly asked "Isn't this the document that I signed?" to which the old man nodded and Yami could tell he was in a serious mood.

"But why does it look like this now? It feels..." Yami said as he was struggling to find the last word to which the old man said "Ominous." Yami nodded. That's what he wanted to say.

"The contract changed the moment you got that tattoo...The tattoo has also stopped me from interfering or even watching what is happening in the shinobi world right now because you are in that world." The old man said. He said it in a way that was bad news but Yami didn't know why in fact he was happy that no one was monitoring him the whole time he was in the shinobi world.

"I don't know how that happened or why does it even matter." Yami shrugged.

"Remember when you signed for the job, it said urgent job requirement?" the old man asked to which Yami nodded.

"That's because the previous transmigrator didn't fail his mission but he went rogue. The tattoo he got was life energy but using some research of the shinobi world, he turned something pure into something truly disgusting." Anger was evident on the old man's face when he said that.

"What do you mean and what is life energy and what did he turn it into?" Yami asked. He didn't even know that there was a previous transmigrator but over the years he had noticed a few changes in this world. The recent one was Mei Terumi's father being alive because as far as he remembered from the anime Mei's parents were dead and she didn't have any siblings. AO was her right-hand man.

"Life energy is what the shinobi world called sage chakra or nature energy." The old man said to which Yami could help but say "That's fucking OP.