Bystander

Y/N Pov

We all arrived at the training center as we overlooked the main training grounds.

"Shadis was the twelfth commander of the scout regiment and the predecessor of Erwin. It's been a long time since I've seen him." Hange said as we rode toward the stables. We put our horses in the stables as Shadis was standing outside, seemingly in thought, Eren walked up behind him.

"Commandant Shadis." Eren said as he turned around and his eyes widened as Eren saluted.

"I would like to talk to you about something." Eren said as Shadis turned back around.

"Follow me to the office." He said we all started to follow him through the training center. It brought back a lot of memories. We got to his office as he opened the door and let us all enter before he entered and he sat at one of the ends of the table.

"What's the matter Brouse? Not gonna sit?" He asked as Sasha was standing against a wall, sweating.

"No, I'm quite fine standing here sir!" Sasha said as her voice slightly quivered but she managed to stay strong.

"Lets see, if I recall... back in the day I'd call you here a lot, right before I was about to chew you out. It's only been a handful of months, and I barely recognize you kids." Shadis said as he looked at all of us, but he stopped on me before stopping on Eren after me.

"So commander Shadis, or wait, commandant now. We should be preparing to retake wall Maria, but, tell me, why do you suppose we came to speak to you instead." Hange asked as Shadis kept looking at Eren, who had determination in his eyes, more then ever before that I've seen. 

"Eren. You look like your mother in almost every way. However, the daggers I see in your eyes, those are your fathers." Shadis said as Eren stood up and glared at the commandant.

"Tell me about him! Tell me everything you know!" 

"I don't know much at all. Not in the grand scheme of things. That said, I'll tell you a story that's of no value to humanity. The story of my past, as nothing but a bystander." 

Flashback (I will use italicized to represent Shadis from the present explaining things.) 3rd Person Pov

"Twenty years ago, near wall Maria, I found him standing outside of the gate to Shiganshina."

"Hey what are you doing! How the hell did you get here! Did you climb down the wall somehow?!" Shadies yelled at the man that was standing there. He was thin and had cuts and bruises everywhere.

"Wait, why would any of you venture outside of the walls? Don't tell me you're trying to fight those things!" A young Grisha asked as Shadis was shocked as Grisha's eyes showed fear.

"Was that the truth? Or a lie? He said he couldn't remember why he was outside the walls, all of his memories have been lost. Everything besides his name. Grisha Yeager."

---

"Who knew it was a crime to go into titan territory without permission? I bet he's the first guy to try it, I thought only you scouts were dumb enough to go out there." Hannes said as he was drunk, you could tell it just from the look in his eyes.