Ch.13 - Woe is Woodwork, Part 2

Wednesday's POV

I cannot believe that Enid is dragging me all of over campus for what sounds like another Nevermore event. She explains to me what the Poe Cup is, and I am no more excited than I was before. Just one more thing my mom was better at than me at.

"Why does this school have so many events?"

"It's to keep the students active and focused. Imagine if all we had was what the town had to offer, we would all be getting into a lot of trouble to have fun."

"Well I have better things to, like plucking out my eyes. I will be in the library."

Nevermore has a probably has the biggest selection of books of any school in North America. It has been around for hundreds of years, but only recently came out of the dark.

I look around the library trying to match the mark from Rowan's mom drawing, but it will take a long time. I walk around a corner, and run into something hard, and fall to the ground.

"Oh, shit, I am so sorry. Wednesday." A hand is reached out to me, and even though I do not usually like human contact, I grab it. And it is very warm. I feel a warm sensation, and it almost feel good. I look at the face attached to the tall body, and it is Ajax, the gorgon. "I am sorry Wednesday, I did not see you there. It is probably because you are so short."

"The apology was enough. You did not have to add insult to injury."

"Your right. I am sorry. So, are you looking for a Poe poem? Most dorms do the same one every year, but someone took ours."

"I know Poe's entire catalogue back and forth. I do not need to research it. I am looking for something." I show him the page, but not the drawing. It's a watermark from a book I'm looking for."

"I do know what this is." I try to not to react, so he won't get suspicious. "But I won't tell you where it is from."

I grit my teeth. "Why not?"

"Number one it is a secret, and number two you look like a girl that likes mysteries, and if I were to tell you, it would make it too easy for you." After Ajax found out that Wednesday is trying to escape Nevermore, he needs any reason to keep her here. "But I will give you a hint. Edgar Allen Poe is the schools biggest secret holder. See you later Wednesday."

He is right, I would get bored, if the mystery was too easy.