Ch.16 - Woe is a Race, Part 2

Ajax's POV

All the teams, line up ready for the race. I look to my left, and see team Black Cat, I look for Wednesday, and find her looking at me. I wave, and she turns her head. I hope she did not see me gorgon out.

"Get Ready, Get set, and Go." Says, Weems.

We have to get across the lake, get to the cemetery, and get our corresponding flag. We one teams, boat being pushed sideways, until it crashes and breaks. The Bianca and Enid's team are in front of us.

We arrive at the dock, and Xavier and I start to run. We reach the crypt, and Wednesday is passed out on the ground. Xavier grabs the flag and tells me to come on. My joker cap falls off. Then, I feel my skin and pupils starting to change again as I see Wednesday in such a vulnerable state. I lift her and put her back to the wall of the crypt, she starts to come out of her sleep, and looks me right in the eyes. But, she doesn't turn to stone. She doesn't even react. I control my breathing, and return back to normal.

I run back to the boat, and we push it back inthe water. As we make it farther in the water, the boat starts filling withwater. It looks like someone scratched it. My teams swims back to the dock, andturns out Enid team, won. I look at them, and see Wednesday, once again staringat me.