Chapter 9

When I raised my head and looked up, Khan, with flushed cheeks and ragged breath, was visible. The pervert bastard, who I thought would be pleased with this suddenly occurring bonus like-event, unexpectedly retreated, stumbling backward and quickly leaving the dining room.

Upon seeing the maid, who was now sprawled on the floor, I slowly got up. She looked at me with a puzzled expression. A very awkward atmosphere lingered in the dining room.

"Well... then, I'll be on my way."
I spoke slowly as I rose

Yes, I need to clean up here as well
the maid hurriedly got up from the floor.

"......"

"......"

We parted ways with awkward expressions.

My nose, which had collided with Khan's center during the event, felt a bit tingly. I rubbed the tip of my nose with my index finger and returned to the third-floor room. Originally, I should have continued searching for Khan and the items, but considering the current situation, going to Khan might lead straight to the bedchamber.

However, as soon as I opened my room door, a familiar face appeared. It was the maid with a face full of acne and twin tails.

"Oh, you're here? I was cleaning the room."

After greeting with a nod, she tried to leave hastily. Suddenly sensing something, I called her back.

"Hey, what's your name?"

"Huh? Me?"

I nodded, and she looked at me with a guarded expression.

"I'm Miriam. Why do you ask?"

"Miriam."

I walked across the small room, and when I stood in front of the window, Miriam was visibly startled. Opening the window wide, I reached out, gently touching the leaves swaying in the breeze. Miriam, with a vigilant look, spoke in a cold tone.

"It's Miriam. Is there anything else you want to say? If not, I'll be going."

"The first person to notice that the Duke's belongings were missing was Miriam, right?"

A sound of her taking a breath could be heard in response to my question. I hit the nail on the head.

I continued speaking, focusing on the vibrant leaves.

I said," You were the first noble to treat me with respect or thank me, so why...?"
I turned around and looked directly at Miriam.
"Are you trying to kill me, Miriam?"

Her large eyes trembled violently. Now that I looked closely, she had very beautiful green eyes. They were cleaner and more vivid than the leaves I had touched just now.

In this world, there are things that just exist. An old tree outside the window, tender leaves reaching out on its branches, a boy who has never been kissed, the feeling of instantly disliking a stranger—these things just exist in their places.

However, the desire to kill someone is different.

Such feelings don't bloom in an instant. They accumulate over time through various events.

Maybe I, Del Narcisse, didn't know who Miriam was. However, Miriam most likely knew who I was, and perhaps she was eagerly awaiting my arrival at this icy prison.

"K-kill you? Why would I? I don't even know who Narcissus is..."

"How did you know my name?"

Miriam had known my name from the beginning. She called me "Narcissus-nim." She was the one who wrongly directed me to the room at the east end of the second floor, claiming it was Khan's room. Since before secretly invading my room in the early morning, she had planned to trap me.