Chapter 78

"Heh... hehik!"

Why is he so shocked as if he saw a ghost?

The merchant who had been annoying until then seemed to be frightened when the noble's son, whom he served, recognized me. Although he tried to slip away unnoticed, I didn't pay attention. Instead, I was more concerned about the noble's son.

"I-I wasn't following you...!"

He stammered, looking around nervously. He was feeling terrified.
Despite the urgency of the situation, it was necessary to figure this out. I approached him.

"Hey, do you know me?"

"Hehik!"

Can't he stop making that weird sound? When I frowned, the noble's son collapsed awkwardly. There were gasps around us.

"I-I've forgotten Narcissus now! Please just let me go!"

"What are you talking about?"

I sternly asked. The noble's son, though wealthy, was of common birth. Since he knew who I was, he must also be aware of my noble status. In a society with a class system, wielding the power of status led to quick resolutions to problems. Well, not that it made much of a difference here.

As I laughed bitterly, he misunderstood my expression and slammed his forehead on the ground.

"I used to be a follower who followed young master Narcissus in the past! I repeatedly offered him extravagant gifts he never wanted, intruding like a pest into Narcissus's daily life! I wandered around cluelessly at the parties Narcissus attended, and sat in his favorite clothing stores, jewelry shops, shoe stores, etc.! I committed unforgivable sins in my quest to receive even a single glance from Narcissus!"

His words of reflection flowed as if someone had made him memorize them. Listening to it, it may have been annoying but it wasn't a big crime. However, the man's reflection was not over yet.

"I gathered followers who admired Narcissus and created the 'Daffodil Fan Club,' serving as the vice president. The fan club sent dozens of petitions to Count Narcissus's Estate every day, hoping that Narcissus would be abandoned by his family and become a loner. I shared Narcissus's schedule, creating an environment where obsessed followers could follow him every moment."

The more I heard, the more shocking it became. Is this guy a completely evil stalker?

Not only me but also the faces of the surrounding merchants turned pale. It seemed they had no idea that the son of the lord they served was engaging in such pathetic actions.

"When the fan club president was imprisoned, I was there with him, but I paid bail and got released! However, I am undoubtedly a criminal! Therefore, I will quietly live to never fall into the Narcissus path again!"

After he finished reflecting, he uncomfortably touched his chest and took a deep breath as if he had recited it like a machine. Everyone remained stunned in silence, but the son of the noble once again looked at the people around him nervously and shouted.

"This time, I really didn't follow anyone!"

"Who are you talking to?"

"What? Oh, no... no one, really!"

He answered with the military-like stiffness of a soldier and trembled as if his body was shaking. Clearly, what was controlling him was fear.

"Why did the fan club president end up in prison?"

"He was reported for continuous stalking!"

Then he added,

"Oh. But don't worry! The president died in prison!"