Chapter 11

When I opened my eyes, it was night. The room was shrouded in a cool and tranquil darkness, but judging by the lively noise coming from outside, it didn't seem to be very late. As I tried to sit up from the bed, the sole of my foot throbbed with a sharp pain. Looking down, I noticed a tightly-wrapped bandage on the injured foot. Despite being wrapped quite thickly, a considerable amount of blood seeped through the bandage.

System window, show yourself.

I silently summoned the system window. I needed to check again what the notification about the failure of the hidden ending, not the hidden quest, that I saw before losing consciousness meant. Strangely, the system window didn't appear, and instead, I heard someone knocking on the door.

"Are you awake?"

A soft male voice echoed pleasantly. It certainly wasn't Khan's voice.

"...Yes."

Thinking that it might be a doctor, I managed to squeeze out an answer. With a word about coming in, the door opened. And I caught sight of the face of the person entering the room, nearly falling off the bed.

Revealed in the darkness was the second male protagonist of the game.

[Alan Bate / Priest / Servant of Temperance / Favorability 0 ]

Wearing a clean bandage in one hand and a white priest robe, Alan approached quietly.

"Let me turn on some lights"

He said so and lit the lamp placed beside the bed, then pulled a chair over and sat down. His face under the light was exactly like the in-game character. Glossy black hair that seemed to be cut from shining obsidian, smooth and large pupils in gentle, well-defined features. Even the round glasses covering his clean and clear blue eyes were identical to the caddy in the game.

"Is there something on my face?"

Alan gave a charming smile and gently patted my cheek. I quickly lowered my head.

"No, it's okay. You're, um, handsome."

"Haha, thank you."

Alan laughed happily and then looked into my eyes, asking, "You injured your foot?"

"Uh... yes."

"The Duke requested healing with divine power."

Khan called for Alan to heal me? That was... beyond surprising; it was a bit strange.

In the game, Del Narcissus meets Alan Bate either when his body is completely ruined after spending the first night with Khan, or when he is banished to the garbage village. There were no other routes besides these two.

Whether Alan knew I was surprised or not, he calmly placed the bandage on the bed and asked, "May I examine your foot?"

"Uh... yes, of course."

I gestured towards my foot sticking out from the blanket. Alan carefully removed the bandage from my foot, moving cautiously as if afraid of touching the wound.

Soon, the wound on the sole of my foot was exposed. A bunch of healing herbs was piled on the wound, and the bluish-green mixture of blood and herbs looked more gruesome than expected. Blood was still oozing from the wound, and the surrounding skin looked pale.

As I winced, Alan habitually tapped my leg reassuringly.

"It's okay. Fortunately, it's not a complete amputation or necrosis."

Why would you say something so terrifying?

Whether I looked at Alan with a disgusted expression or not, he was fixated only on the wound.