Chapter 18

Alan, who was changing clothes, lifted his head at the commotion coming from outside. He hurriedly went out to investigate. Startled and intrigued by the noisy scene, the orphans gathered in front of the orphanage, their knees covered with dust.

"What's happening?"

Alan asked, and the oldest girl among them replied, "The carriage overturned."

"The horses too!"

Another child provided more details.

Sure enough, there was a large carriage overturned on the roadside. The horses were struggling to get up from their fallen position, whining and crying out. Not far away, a wheel was missing from the carriage. It seemed to be a random accident.

If Narcissus had witnessed this scene, he would have been quite surprised...

Alan thought so as he scanned the surroundings. He was looking for Del, who might be somewhere watching the situation with wide-open eyes. Strangely, Del was nowhere to be found.

"Hey, kids, did you happen to see a man, as beautiful as an angel, around here? He has hair that looks like melted gold and is wearing a brown coat."

"I don't know. Haven't seen anyone."

"Did an angel visit our orphanage?"

"The angel has left!"

The kids exclaimed with excitement. However, Alan's face gradually turned pale. Belatedly, the orphanage director came out and asked what was going on, but Alan was already too distracted to respond.

The calm and composed favorite of the gods, who used to smile with patience and compassion, had suddenly disappeared. In his place was a person in a hurry, with a desperate and impatient heart, like a child who had lost a precious possession. Alan rushed past the children and, without answering the orphanage director's inquiry about what happened, quickly jumped over the high iron gate and headed towards the street.

As people gathered around the accident scene, trying to fix the horses and carriage, the street was crowded. Alan continuously muttered, "Excuse me," as he pushed through the crowd. If he had been wearing a priestly robe, people might have shown more respect, but dressed in the worn-out plain clothes borrowed from the director, everyone stared at him with disdain.

Alan broke away from the crowd and walked up the opposite street. However, Del was still nowhere to be seen.

Had the miracle of the gods just disappeared like this? Did the gods abandon Alan?

That was when it happened.

"Sigh, tsk tsk, he looked quite young. Tough luck, I guess."

"He seemed to have completely lost his mind, right?"

Voices of a man and a woman discussing with their tongues clicked were suddenly heard from behind. Alan turned around to approach them.

"I'm sorry, but may I ask about what you just said? Um... about whom were you talking about?..."

Alan didn't even know what he was asking. A dark premonition suggested he shouldn't have asked, but his mouth moved on its own.

A well-dressed gentleman, seemingly with his wife, glanced at her briefly before lowering his voice to respond.

"There was a young man riding that carriage. Unfortunately, he hit his head badly when the carriage overturned. Covered in blood, he was taken to the hospital."

"A young... man? Um, was he, by any chance, blond?"

As Alan's voice trembled severely, the woman standing beside them, covering her mouth with a handkerchief, expressed a sympathetic expression.