Chapter 47

sat up and spat out what was in my mouth onto my palm. A small copper-colored capsule, metallic in texture, came out just as I had felt it with my tongue. I grabbed the ends of the small metal piece and pulled it apart with force. The capsule split in half, revealing a tightly rolled small note inside.

[I'll come for you at midnight today. Don't sleep and wait.]

That was all that was written on the paper. The sender's identity was not mentioned.

I stared at the words quietly. The person who came to mind as soon as I saw it was Andrea. I didn't know how he managed to put something like this in my mouth, but he was a skilled assassin, so I assumed he knew clever methods.

However, this place was the top floor of the Tower of Magic, the room of the Magic Tower Lord. I didn't know much, but there were probably numerous magical boundaries and traps set up, making it difficult for even a skilled assassin to come this far.

I recalled Heron, who had been standing next to Cain. Maybe Heron pretended to nurse me and secretly put this in my mouth. Was he trying to tell me to stay away from the Magic Tower Lord? He could also mock me, saying, "Receiving a room on the 99th floor as an apprentice magician is unacceptable."

Checking the clock, it was already past 8 in the evening. If I stayed here, would the person who sent this note come to find me at midnight? But this was Cain's room. Whoever sent the note probably wouldn't easily approach with Cain around. Staying close to Cain would likely prevent the sender from approaching recklessly.

I got up from the bed, put the note into the fireplace, and burned it. I placed the metal capsule back into my pocket. Then I opened the door and walked out into the corridor.

"Excuse me...? I just woke up."

I didn't make much noise, but far away, a door opened, and Cain rushed out.

"Are you okay? Mana vessel? You slept a lot!"

His tone was casual, but his face was full of concern. Well, at least this man was on my side. He had accepted me as his disciple, an apprentice magician, and he seemed to have a liking for me, with a friendship level close to 50. Moreover, Cain was a deep-hearted person, so he would undoubtedly protect me whether someone came to kill me at midnight or not.

"I'm hungry."

"Oh, okay, okay. Let's see, the meal potion... Ah, you know, it's better to eat food directly, like Heron does. There's food from the village that I bought yesterday. Let's eat that."

He took me back into the room. He swept away the messy piles of paper and books on the table, and flicked his fingers to move the food around. Small sandwiches, fruits, and snacks appeared. I picked up a sandwich and offered it to Cain.

"Let's eat together."

"I'm good. I already had a meal potion."

"Just one. Okay? Master."

"M-M-Master?"

Seemingly pleased that I called him 'Master' for the first time, he blushed and accepted the sandwich.

"That's right, get used to it."

Afterward, he swallowed the small sandwich whole in one bite, looking aggressive as if in a duel with the food. His cheeks bulged, and after chewing combatively, he gestured for me to eat quickly.

I took my time to eat the sandwich slowly. Perhaps due to the time that had passed, the bread was somewhat dry, and the vegetables inside were soggy from the sauce. The meat was cold and tough. It wasn't a sandwich that could be described as delicious even in empty words.