Chapter 4

Annabeth's POV

My knife was colder than ice against my leg.

I knew what l had to do. I doubted myself. I didn't know if l would do it right. I didn't know if this was right.

He swore against the river Styx. Percy will forgive when we get him back.

But l couldn't help but feel something would backfire. He was called the titan of crafty council for a reason. I felt Percy sit next to me, and l forced a smile. He didn't seem to notice, and smiled back brightly making my heart ache.
"I'm sorry." I repeated.
"I told you. It's okay."
I shivered in the cold. "It does get cold at night here."
He unfolded his wings, and my heart skipped a beat as one of them wrapped around my shoulder. I leaned on his chest, hoping somehow it would warm my body.

I felt like l would go crazy. My doubts just got bigger, and they wouldn't leave my head.

"I love you."
Guilt washed over me like a wave. I wanted to stay silent, but l wanted to say this.

"I love you. I really do."

~

It didn't take long for him to fall asleep.

I carefully slipped out from under his wing and took out my dagger. I closed my eyes tight and put it on the base of his wing.

The base is vunerable.

"I'm sorry Percy."

I started sawing of the wing.

Tears slipped out of my eyes as time passed, and l was soon sobbing silently, scared that someone would find me. He didn't wake, but only flinched in his sleep. Blood poured out of the stub that was left, and l was thankful for the dark. I wiped my eyes and moved on to the next wing.

"Annabeth..." he murmered.
I flinched, stopping.
His face contorted in pain and his arms wrapped around himself. "Annabeth...."

It haunted me. It sounded like he was scolding me. I grabbed the wing that was cut off and my dagger and ran off into the woods.

~

When l went to Zeus's fist, l was afraid that nobody would be there.

Prometheus was there.

He smiled at me and it got wider when he saw Percy's wing. I grasped it tight. It was still warm. I knew my eyes were red from crying. I pushed it towards him.

"Give me back Theo."

"Wonderful job Mrs. Jackson. You have cut off your husband's wing."

I flinched. "Please."
"Well Mrs. Jackson. It seems like l can't."
I stared at him in horror. "W- what?"
"I said 'wings'. S. Two wings. Not one."
"But-"
"Didn't you guess l would trick you?"
"But you swore on the river Styx!"
"That l would bring him back if you brought me his wings."
"Have a good night." He said, bobbing his head.
"Wait!" l grasped at thin air, and fell to the ground.

What have l done?

OMG THIS IS SO SHORT ME SO SORRY