Chapter 38

Percy's POV

I hated the black car.

I had ridden it once, but hated it from then on. I had Alpha do all my speeches, announcements, eveything that would come up on the news. I tried to live as a recluse even as Commander.

Riding in the sleek black car with Luke, Annabeth, and Victor, I didn't feel much different from a thousand years ago.

Atleast I had someone to love.

Victor slipped a hand over mine.
"Calm down. All you need to do is apologize. Just remember what Annabeth told you."
I looked down. Right now, my head was as empty as a box. All I could register was pain. My feet were to numb to feel anything. The deep wound in my stomach throbbed. I could hear my own heartbeat, beating fast like footsteps running down stairs.
"You'll be fine." Luke assured.
I wiggled my toes in my boots, trying to warm them up.
"I hope so."
"Percy, all you have to do is apologize."
"I know."
My voice wasn't supposed to sound so watery. A still silence filled the car.
"You feeling alright?"

I looked down and grasped the leather seats.

"I'm not sure."

"You're just nervous."
"I guess so..."
"We arrived." Annabeth said.
We all got off the car and the security guards pushed the crowd back. I heard cursing, questions, and a lot of yelling. I looked down, not being able to meet their eyes. Something wet hit my face, and I picked off the eggshell.

"What the fuc-"

"Victor." I grabbed his hand, wiping off the remains. "Stay calm."

I walked up the stairs and saw hundreds of people looking up at me, maybe for the first time. I took a deep breath. Shouting and yelling was mixed from the big crowd. I saw a few people pointing at my wings.

"H-"

Something hit me from behind. Hard. I saw the world teeter dangerously and a stumbled dangerously close to the ledge falling into crowd below me. I grabbed the back of my head to feel blood. I turned around to see a man being held back by the security guards. A blast of power made the guards fly back. The man looked about 40 or so and was holding a brick.
"You f*cking a*shole!" he shouted. "You just killed thousands of soldiers and you're coming here to apologize?"
The man held out a grenade, and the guards were held back.
"You just killed my son." he sobbed. "You killed my son in the most brutal way possible."
I teleported and grabbed his wrist tight, so that he dropped the bomb.

"I lost my son too." I whispered. "It's just like the bomb- it triggered so many things." I sighed.

"It's not for me to say, but why not you just try living? It might not seem that bad when you hear my luck."

I let go of his wrist, and stumbled slightly, feeling the blood drip into my eyes.

I can do this.

This wasn't in my head.

I fell to my knees.

Head down, I said two words that I was now tired of saying.

"I'm sorry."

I didn't care what they said about me. I didn't care if they called it fake tears- I knew they were real. Hot, salty tears fell onto my lap. I heard yelling, cursing, and people screaming at me.

What did I do so wrong?

I couldn't understand anything.

I didn't understand why he had to do this.

I wished I could die now.

I covered my eyes and wiped off my tears.

I just want to go home now.

~

Victor's POV

I was tired of freaking out.

The man stabbed his knife in his back and kicked him off the ledge. The people rushed to him, and I teleported down to see the citzens literally assulting him- the already mangled body. Hot range swelled up inside me and I shoved my way through the crowd, only to get pushed down and trampled. Luke had found his way down and was yelling at the whole crowd. Guards were also trying, but they couldn't do much.

"Stop."

The one word made everyone go still. I saw Chaos looking down at all of us, looking very, very angry.

"Victor. Will you get Omega up here?"

I pushed the crowd and found Percy, laying completely still. I teleported up again, next to Chaos. Silena and Beckendorf, who had obviously followed Chaos here helped him stand. I could see him regaining consciousness, but he was already very, very hurt. His bruised face was pitifully unreconizable, and he had his hand on his stomach.

"Do you know who he is?"

His voice echoed around the whole place.

"He is your Commander. He has brought peace to this land and let us prosper by sacrificing himself to wars while you-" he pointed at the crowd. "Sit around on your lazy as*es sitting around eating potato chips."

"Look."

Silence filled the whole place. It was so quiet that one could hear a pin drop.

"You know what. What if I just leave this place. Take Percy with me- and the other leaders to another planet and let the borders fall. See this place burn to the ground." His eyes flashed more violently. "We could just start a new race."

"Starting with your son Omega."

Was Chaos going mad?

"Chaos-"

"I don't mind."

Percy limped next to Chaos, stumbling on the way.
"... It's my fault." he once again lowered his head. "I apologize."

"You can apologize when you have done something wrong."

Chaos glared down at all the citizens.

"I'm dissapointed. I never knew the soldiers I had trained could end up like this."

~