Chapter 53

Percy's POV

I still felt cold.

"Who told you to go swimming when it's 10 degrees under?! You nearly died?"

I clasped my cold hands together. "I met Posiedon."

He paused. "Really?"

I nodded slowly.

He huffed. "I don't care, as long as you're not upset." he glanced at me.

"... You aren't?"

"... I'm fine."

He pushed his hair back, sighing.

"... I thought about it. What we talked about last night."

I tensed. "And?"

"I- I was just thinking maybe you could just cut off drugs-"

"You can't make me live."

"I know. I mean... We can try."

"... I don't know."

He sighed. "Alright. But... Tell me if you want to try."
He turned around. "And don't go out alone at night." he said. He glanced at the time and put on his coat.

"I need to go visit the Chaos planet. I'll be here around 7." he informed me.

"Can I go?"

He frowned. "You sure?"

I nodded slowly.

He sighed. "As long as you're okay."

I grabbed my coat and slipped it on and Victor tossed me a pair of socks. I sat down and put them on and Victor waited for me till I put my boots on. I dug my hands deep into my pockets as we walked across the white snow.

"Victor!"

I saw Reyna and Annabeth coming towards us.
Reyna hugged Victor tight, smiling.
"Where are you going?"
"The Chaos army."
Her face fell. "Oh." she glanced at me. "You too?"
I nodded slowly and glanced at Annabeth. She smiled.

"Hi."

"We'll be back around 7."

"I guess you won't be here for dinner." she said.

"Yeah. We'll try to come as fast as possible."

Reyna kissed Victor on the cheek. "See you later."

We went to the edge of camp and made a portal. I stepped in after Victor and we appeared in front of the doors of the building. Pressing his card to the door lock, he opened the door and I followed him in.
Strangely, I didn't see anyone. Not one soldier.

"Where are all the soldiers?"

"... You'll see."

He went to the arena and I followed him in, confused.

I almost threw up.

Bile rose in my throat as the scent of rotting corpses met me. There were not two, but about 50 soldiers inside the arena fighting, stepping over the dead corpses. The glass windows were nearly covered in blood. I saw hundreds more soldiers at the seats- cheering, encourging them to fight.

And I saw Chaos looking over the soldiers without a hint of emotion on his face.

"... What-"

"They chose their fate." Victor said grimly. "Whoever lives, gets to have another chance to fight you."

"But why?!"

"They still think you are not fit for Commander. But don't worry. There will be no soldier who can last in ones right mind."

"Why don't they clean the corspes?"

"Theres no time. The soldiers must fight for weeks till there is only one left."

I felt sick to my stomach. Was this really needed? To just become Commander? Because I wasn't fit for the job?

Anger.

Pure anger.

That was all I felt for the past few minutes.

They were my soldiers.

My own soldiers were being killed ruthlessly because of my soldiers.

This needed to stop.

This chain of killing- killing and killing the person who killed your friend, your sibing, your son or daughter.

Victor was right. Nobody would get through this alive.

I burst through the door and pulled the fighting soldiers apart. The cheering died down. I felt the sword swing, making a deep cut in my side. One long spear scratched my cheek, and I felt blood seep out out of the cut.

But I couldn't feel anything at all.

I banged their heads togther, hard. They were both knocked out, and I dropped them.

This place needed some cleaning out.

The half mad soldiers ran towards me, thirsty for blood. I thrust my hands outwards, and the arena filled with water. I could feel my power draining- pouring into the arena. Soldiers thrashed in the water, while some swam up to get air.

My body tingled. And then it burned, like it was on fire.

I couldn't breathe.

The water reached it's final point, and drained out as everything turned black.

717 Words.