Chapter 61

Percy's POV

Victor was alright.

He was even awake the next day.

But nobody would let me see him.

I couldn't anyway.

In the morning, I was fine except for a mild headache, which was suprising compared to what I had done last night. I couls barely remember anything, only losing consciousness after cleaning up the mess. It was time for patrol, so I ate breakfast and went out.

Bad move.

I couldn't remember clearly. All I could remember was getting really, really dizzy and blacking out.

While I was on patrol.

They told me it was because of blood loss, and I had been moving too much. Now, I just felt really crappy, sitting in bed with a packet of blood attached to my arm by a tube. My whole body ached, and I still felt light-headed. The withdrawal symtoms were coming back, and I was feeling nauseous. I wished I could see Victor, but I guess we both weren't in the state to. I watched the nurses come and go, sometimes pulling wheelchairs around.

"Commander?"

I turned to see a young nurse, barely 20 staring at me with eager blue eyes. Her light brown hair was put up in a bun. The basket full of banana's was an odd match.

"I can't believe you're actually here! This is the first time I've ever seen you in person! And with your mask off." she said brightly.

"Uh..."

"Can you sign this?"

She held out a mask, very similar to mine. Actually, it was mine. But it was slightly cracked and chipped off.

"How...?"

"I picked it up. On the streets."

I nodded slowly. "I don't really have a sign though."

"It doesn't matter. Just your name, maybe. You have a sign for your real name, right?"

"Yeah."

She gestured with her hands, and I signed the mask carefully in my messy scrawl. She admired it for a few moments before putting it away.

"You should go around without your mask more often. You look better without it."

I smiled. "Do I?"

She noddsd enthusiastically. "You're wife is really lucky to have you by her side."

Annabeth.

"... No. I'm lucky to have her."

She laughed. "That sounds so sweet."

"Thanks."

She handed me a banana.
"We're giving this around our hospital." she smiled. "I'm really lucky to be handing this out to you."

She stood up and walked to the next patient, and started making small talk brightly. The middle aged man laughed, and she handed him the banana. I smiled and peeled the banana. I guess it was time for lunch anyway. I ate the banana slowly, watching the nurse go to others. I sighed and rubbed my face, throwing the peel in the trashcan. I couldn't deny I felt nauseous, but I knew I could keep my measly lunch down. Bile rose up in my throat and I swallowed hard and drank a cup of water. I closed my eyes, making a futile attempt to sleep. I sighed.
I wished Victor was here.