Chapter 28

Percy's POV

Something was on my chest.

I couldn't move. I was pretty sure I was awake. I moved my fingers, but I couldn't move my arms.

I couldn't breathe.

It hurt too much. So much. It felt like my heart was being compressed into my lungs. I groaned softly and turned my head.

No one can help you.

Days without sleep. After that, I couldn't feel like I could enough sleep. But no. He had always haunted my dreams, and staying awake and outside was better. My eyes were wide open, and I got used to the pain on my chest as time passed. I laid there for a moment, not moving.
"Percy."
I turned my head slightly to see Victor.
"Can't sleep?" he whispered.
I nodded.
He pointed at the door and I sat up with some effort.

Maybe fresh air would make it better.

~

T

wo boys that were about 20 walking in the park at 3 in the morning.

Totally normal.

I liked the sound that my boots made in the snow. I looked down, looking at the footprints I was making.

"Don't lie to me."

I glanced at Victor, and back at the snow.
"What."
"You know you have to give up on Annabeth."
I kept walking, as if the words were already in my head.
"I know. She doesn't love me anymore."
The words came out more bitterly than I intended. He narrowed his eyes.
"I know how you feel about her."
I paused.

"Victor, I know better than you. I know I'm not supposed to... Like her anymore." I sighed, looking up at the sky. "I can't fight my fatal flaw. But don't worry, I'll try. I know what will happen if I do."

He let a sigh out. "Atleast you understand."

I wanted to stay that he didn't know everything. That there was another reason why I was trying.

But I knew what he would do.

I glanced at him as we started walking again.

He can't stop me this time.

~

Annabeth's POV

Percy didn't look well the next morning.

The dark circles under his eyes were darker and he kept yawning. Leo made breakfast this time, and it was really good. But we ate in silence, everybody glancing at each other. Not Percy though. He stared at his food, stirring it, not really looking like he wanted to eat it. He stood up, picking up his plate.
"This is really good Leo." he said flatly, going to the sink.
Leo stared at him, and then at me.

"What does that mean?"

I stood up. "Thanks for making breakfast Leo." I said a little more cheerfully than Percy. I went to the sink and watched him put his dishes in the sink. He let out a long sigh.

"Annabeth."

Suprised, I took a step back. "Yes.......?"
He looked up slightly, his eyes nearly glowing. One of his black locks fell down into his eyes, and he straightened up, brushing his hair away. He took a step foward, and my breath hitched. Him so close- close enough so I could feel his warmth. He sighed again, running a hand through his hair.
"Nothing." he said in monotone, barely brushing my shoulder as he walked past.
I didn't know how to react.

What was he trying to say? His tone wasn't hostile. His actions weren't either. Why was he shaking me up like this? I though he had given up on me?

A thousand questions ran through my head, leaving my thoughts spinning out of control.

Why?

His fatal flaw wasn't pride. If he had still loved me, he would of came to me. Wouldn't of avoided me. I gritted my teeth.

What was he hiding from me?

"Are you going to stand there forever?"

I glanced back to see Victor glaring at me. I shook my head and put my dishes in the sink.

Relationships were more complicated than gods.

~

Of course, Victor wouldn't let me anywhere near Percy.

Nobody but Victor and I seemed to notice Percy looked a bit tired. The soulless breakfast was soon forgotten and Percy was talking with Hazel, walking down the street of the town. I looked down at my watch. After a night at a hotel, Percy led the way to Tartarus's fort. Lost in my thoughts, I bumped into Leo, sending him stumbling foward. Percy grabbed his shirt and straightened him up.
"What the-" he started to complain, but shut up when he held a finger to his lips. Leo narrowed his eyes and Percy pointed over to show a hellhound sniffing, coming closer to us.
"I think she caught us." he mumbled.
"Should we blend in?"
He shook his head. "Walk away. Slowly."
We all turned in a robotic way, walking away slowly from the hellhound. Percy walked faster, and we went along with him. I heard barking behind us.
I glanced up at Percy who was deperately looking for something. He ran, and we followed him like dogs following a master.
"Where are we going?"
"The hound is obviously going to find us. We can't fight with mortals around." He skidded to a stop at the end of the ally.
Leo lit his hands up.
"So...."
As soon as the hound ran into the ally, Leo burned the dog into ashes, not even leaving gold dust behind.
"Lets get out of here-"
"Wait."
Hazel knelt down next to a manhole cover.
"Something's down here."
she put both of her hands on the ground.
"It's not a plain sewer. I'm sure. Percy-" her voice faltered.

Rigid.

Rigid and frozen as a plank.

A monster, the monster that I least wanted to see wrapped her arms around Percy's neck.

"I never knew you liked me enough to visit me again." Kelli purred. She smiled viciously.

"And little Annie is here too!"